Watch Out Mr Pease!! There's a New Kid on the Block!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
While on sabbatical I made a BIG DISCOVERY!! There is a (relatively) new kid on the block – a ‘Ninja’ blender called Hans. His Germany-based ‘boutique’ tobacco company, ‘HU-Tobacco’, has a good website and, unlike UK suppliers, he makes it relatively easy to buy from outside the EU.
Hans’ blends are going down a storm over here. I don’t know if many members have tried them, but jiminks has given detailed reviews on three of HU’s finest on ‘tobaccoReviews’, in fact because the site is fairly new (and the ‘destructors’ have not yet got on to it) all the reviews I have seen on that site are fair and well worth a read, IMO.
So, this is just a gentlemanly ‘heads-up’ for those who like to try new blends. I won’t give any full reviews here, just a personal note on those I have smoked:-
- “Director’s Cut”: A truly magnificent blend. The different tobaccos are rough-cut rolls and curlies. For that reason I do not rub out and I smoke it in a large bowl. The flavours seem to burst out in little packets as you progress through the smoke. Incredibly rich!!

- “Dockworker”: Also outstanding, a Burley-heavy blend with a tin note not dissimilar to Stonehaven/Germain RDF. I was lost in admiration – is it better than Stonehaven? No. Is it as good? Yes, IMO. Will I cellar it? Absolutely!

- “Flanagan”: mainly Vas, with a bit of Perique. I love this blend! Will I cellar it? YES

- “Haymaker”: pure Va, I think. With the slight grass/hay-like note of FVF/BBF (rather than, say, Dunhill Flake or Solani Silver). Is it better? No. Is it as good? Probably – I fuiken love this stuff – and it WILL be cellared!

- “Old Fredder”: a VaPer: This is incredibly rich and creamy for a VaPer!! Is it better than St James Flake? Probably yes IMO, and YES it is on the way to the cellar
There are many more for me to try (Hans regularly sends me samples), but I couldn’t give him higher praise!!!!!!
PS If Peck and Harris believe they have completed their cellars/warehouses I suggest they reconsider!!!LOL
PPS I have sent samples of the above blends to two highly respected and open-minded Forum members who have been very generous to me in the past.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
In an unrelated post, HEY my last name is Flanagan! That makes me want to order some just to have it!

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Where can you pick these up in Germany? I make my way to the Stuttgart area a few times a year and found a decent tobacconist in Goppingen, but otherwise I just get lucky if I stumble across one. I spend most of my time in the South, and usually can only find a few places that sell the regular blends like Rattray's, and Sam Gawith.
This also gets me thinking. I was in Prague awhile back and found a great tobacconist. I asked if they had any full virginia flake "Yes." and was handed two of their remaining tins. They were 35 grams! Haven't seen another tin of the stuff in that quantity. The paper inside was almost all brown, so I was wondering if they were very old or if it was a european thing? I smoked them anyway, rather than hoarding the second tin, and they were both very good. Ever see a 35 gram tin of FVF? It was about the same size as a tin of Mac Baren Virginia Flake (the yellow tin).

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Hmmmm.. do you have a link to his website? The only website I've found for HU-Tobacco doesn't have any of those tobaccos listed.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Scratch that! Found the website. Did not realize the different clickables were categories of blends. I have found the blends you mentioned and contemplating ordering some when I get a paycheck tomorrow.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@cortez, I was sorely tempted to do some SERIOUS hoarding :evil: before posting!! LOL But I thought everyone should have a fair chance!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Hang on to your, um, Pads, boys. Just for you Cortez, the HU-Tobacco web address in English: http://shop.strato.de/epages/63080810.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63080810/Categories

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
They sound very very good but with the EU prices, I will likely go ahead and stick with what I can get here.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
$30.00 for 100g. I don't think Mr. Pease has much to worry about.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Jake - Directors Cut, Edward G., and Dockworker in the basket! I'm going to call tomorrow to pay by card over the 'phone as I can't work out how to pay otherwise but looking forward to trying them. Dockworker will be my first ever flake, so look out for request on what the hell to do with it!
Have you had/are there any customs issues or is it OK because it's EU to EU?
Andy

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@kanala, you are right to an extent, but there are members here who will pay a helluva lot more for a 'boutique' tobacco that is different, and of outstanding quality! I firmly believe many of Hans' blends will become cult classics!! I have tasted an awful lot of blends in the last fourteen years, but jminks has tasted many-fold more. Suggest you read him in tobaccoReviews.com
@Andy - if you place you order, Hans will send you an e-mail tomorrow with his bank details, so you can make a direct transfer in euros - easy peasy!!
EDIT Andy no customs issues - fill your boots, pal!!

Dec 24, 2012
Yeesh, this is tempting. Jim has great taste in tobacco. Now, if Lestrout gets on here extolling the virtues of this stuff then a double endorsement by Jim and Les would be hard to ignore. Personally, I probably won't try it unless I stumble upon some somewhere - the last thing I need for my sanity is to have to start cellaring yet another blend.

Dec 24, 2012
And by the way, I have not bought any pipe tobacco since early January. Pretty impressive willpower I have, eh? Damn proud of myself.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Peck, at least three of Hans' blends are world class, even world-beating. But I have often worried for your sanity!! LOL

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Personally, I probably won't try it unless I stumble upon some somewhere - the last thing I need for my sanity is to have to start cellaring yet another blend.
I'm your huckleberry.
-- Pat

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
And by the way, I have not bought any pipe tobacco since early January. Pretty impressive willpower I have, eh? Damn proud of myself.
Peck
I did notice that the stock prices of pipe tobacco have dipped recently...

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Whoooop whooooooooooop! Directors Cut, Edward G., and Dockworker on their way. Having read the reviews on tobaccoreview.com, I can't wait...
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.