PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Got me one of these the other day, Peterson's Irish Oak, as I came across this name in a forum thread perhaps a month or so back. Curiosity paid out this time, especially since my expectations of VaPers is pretty low since my bad experience with Elisabethan's by Dunhill. I must admit that the tin note was one of the most intriguing that I have tried this year. The nose is sweet ... earthy is the first thing that comes to mind, a wee wet grassy and finished by a scent of somewhat raisin. The latter doesn't particularly hit you when smoking, unlike for example the plum in the Royal Yacht, which is definitely there with you throughout the smoke. They say black cavendish ... sure there is some, as one can observe with the naked eye, but in quite a low proportion and it also doesn't impact the smoking experience as much in as far as taste. I suppose that the black cavendish mellows down the other components, tones down the sweetness of the virginia and the pepperiness in the perique. Overall I would say that this is a fantastically balanced blend. Sweet, but not too sweet, peppery but subtle - unlike other blends that I shall not name, which in my experience were so peppery that they burst you in tears. I truly appreciate the fact that when you draw you have that single level sweetness in the forefront, and a few seconds after a bit of peperiness tickles your tongue. It's an every day smoke for me. I tried it in several pipes, no bite, and interesting enough it yields a legendary gray ash in the end with no major effort. A satisfying experience I would say ...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I love Irish Oak. Just pay attention when ordering it, or else you can end up like me, with 4 ounces of Irish WHISKEY instead.... :|
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds excellent. Like something for those in mourning for discontinued blends. Yum.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Add me to the list of Irish Oak lovers. If there's another blend out there like it, I haven't tasted it yet.

P

pipebuddy

I like Irish Oak a lot. The Cavendish really makes it shine.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Never really cared for Irish Oak, don’t really know what it was I didn’t like about it but it just didnt wet my whistle

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I looked it up on tobaccoreviews cause I don’t know what to think without consulting the crowd.

Most of the recents reviewers seem to like it fine, but Jiminks has not yet chimed in on this blend.

Now I really don’t know what to think of this blend!

Maybe it’s the citronella topping that’s delaying his review...it gives me a little pause.

Thailand burley intrigues me.

I think this blend might be fun to share at a meeting sometime.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I understand it's good quality leaf, but I never cared for it either. Actually, most of the Peterson blends don't sit well with me for some reason.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
This blend has grown on me to the point of achieving a permanence in my tobacco smoking selection.
This is a stand alone blend as it doesn't fit neatly into the Va/Per category.
I find all components to be well balanced and the smoke to be smooth and flavorful.

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
Nice recipe for a mild VaPer. Adding some Burley and Cavendish seems a good idea. There's not a lot of blends in this category.

Tobacco Review mention that there's Sherry added as flavour. In fact, this blend is aged in sherry casks and doesn't contains sherry.

An excellent and easy to smoke blend. Perhaps less satisfactory in evenings, when you need a bit more power...

Status
Not open for further replies.