PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
It seems recently I've had a few attempts at a fold and stuff that went wrong for one reason or another and had to dump half a bowl out because it was half burnt or whatever. Then a couple bowls that were packed too tight and wouldn't stay lit and the rest half burnt and kinda wet-ish looking got dumped. Maybe tobacco looked dry enough but was still too moist and didn't burn correctly and that got dumped. Not all in one day mind you, but maybe in three weeks or a month's time. It's not a hell of a lot of tobacco in reality but it bugs the shit out of me to see it in the ash tray........

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Letting the flake dry out, as monkfish suggests, will help; and it might also help to crush the folded flake a little before putting it in the bowl. And there's always the option to cube cut the flake.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Try setting a new base line for drying.
Set some out for a whole day or two.
Smoke some, then shorten the dry time, if needed.
That's what it took for me to finally realize that I just wasn't drying enough.
'Cuz I'm hard headed... :crazy:
With flakes, I found it was finally dry enough when the flake BROKE, not just bent at the fold. Load it with the jagged, broken fold pointed UP. Those jagged ends light easier than the smoother ends.
I'm still a novice, but this has worked for me. I'm sure some Flake Jedi Masters will be along to add to this soon.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1) let flake dry overnight

2) fold as normal

3) twist the fold a bit to break up the fibers

4) load pipe with the folded end up/fiber end down

5) light and enjoy

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Don’t dump the tobacco have a tobacco jar and collect the unsmoked tobacco then smoke it another day.

It’s too expensive to toss!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Pay attention to your relative humidity levels. In my location, at this time of the year, the toby would crumble if I left it to dry overnight.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
It is amazing how dry pipe tobacco can be and still smoke amazingly well. I have often forgotten about tobacco I am drying out and when I remembered it was so dry it broke; however, each time is has been wonderful.
Dry it, dry it , dry it!!!

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I second oldmansmoking's sentiments. If it bugs you to see it in the ashtray take it out and put it in a nicer container. I smoke dottle when I get enough, usually adding different types of fresh tobacco to give it a fresher flavor. Burley and perique added to dottle have both been better than I expected.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
There are eight pipes packed here currently. Dry tobacco smokes fine but judge for yourself, I prefer it. Dry it and pack it, pack it and leave it to dry, long as it's dry I'll smoke it.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Well most of the time I have no problems. It's just when you least expect it..something goes wrong. I do try to salvage mis-hap tobacco if possible. But, is this a crazy amount of tobacco to be lost ? Lets say two half bowls ( one bowl ) in a month ?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I wouldn’t recommend the fold n stuff method for beginners. That can be a hard one to master for even the more seasoned pipe smokers. Rub it out, let it dry out to where ya think it’s too dry, load up and enjoy.
Don’t dump the tobacco have a tobacco jar and collect the unsmoked tobacco then smoke it another day.

It’s too expensive to toss!

Sorry, that’s just nasty.

Mar 29, 2016
Pack you pipes in advance, especially with the fold and stuff technique, it works better...most of the time.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
It's not a hell of a lot of tobacco in reality but it bugs the shit out of me to see it in the ash tray...

Just empty your ash tray more often ---> you won't see it accumulate ---> problem solved

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I am sure some people on here throw whole tins of tobacco away that they don't like, whether you consider throwing tobacco away in any amount a waste is entirely personal.

LOL hawky454. If I let the idea of nasty keep me from enjoying the pleasures of life I wouldn't have many things in my life that are pleasurable. :wink:

I like to get nasty, occasionally. :puffy:
But, yeh, I have issues with folding and stuffing most flakes, in some pipes. I try it every now and then with certain ones, but most of the time I find I have the best smokes from rubbing it out or cube cutting it. But, I like to mix it up for diversity. Some pipes just burn better with different preps.

My tight coned chambered stacked dublins just don't like folding and stuffing, unless I do some flake origami to get the flake to fit a cone. If I just cram it in, by the time I get half way, the flake expands and causes problems that have to be fiddled with.
Microwaving a flake for about 8 seconds is my usual pre-prep. But, I also have a coffee mug warmer at my workbench that I will sometimes set a pinch or flake on to dry it. I have found that I really like crunchy dry tobaccos. I just get a more pure flavor that way, and I never have re-lighting issues. YMMV

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Cosmic, you put the whole flake in the micro then rub it out ? Or rub it out first then put it in ?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
2) fold as normal

3) twist the fold a bit to break up the fibers

4) load pipe with the folded end up/fiber end down
I like this, but would add: leave space at the sides of the pipe, because flakes kind of act like gum once in the bowl. They expand and stick. You want them to be able to breathe.
I do not bother drying, and have never had a problem, but I carefully feather the folded flake (C.E.'s step 3) and make sure it is loose enough in the pipe that if I turned it upside down, it would fall out. Then I give it a char, very light tamp, and good circular light, and smoke the melonfarmer real slow like...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'll get the fold and stuff technique down with a few trial-and-error efforts. I'd just like to say, in this instance, if you are dumping a bowlful of unused tobacco, rub it out and smoke it, after drying it out overnight. I discourage people from picking through the ash at the bottom of a bowl for the layer of unburnt pieces of tobacco. That to me is thrift degraded to obsession. But if little or none of the tobacco has been smoked, just gather it up, rub it out, and smoke it. For sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.