Was About to Bid on This Peterson Lighter, When...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I had doubts that this was a genuine "Peterson" (of Dublin) lighter. The logo doesn't match any logo I've seen of Peterson and I've not heard of Peterson using an apostrophe "S" at the end.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PETERSONS-BUTANE-LIGHTER-NIB-MOD-43805-JAPAN-FREE-SHIP-IN-USA-/251328971596
It's a nice looking lighter, and I wanted to go for it - but figuring it's going to run up towards $50-60 bucks, I'd like to know for sure if the manufacturer is really Peterson of Dublin.
Anyone know if this is a knock-off or if it is an actual Peterson lighter?

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Looks like a Chinese knock off to me. The manual does not look right. Also, has Japan stamped on it. Not sure but it does not look right.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
And the logo isn't like any I've seen too.
Made in Japan to me is a good sign for an older pipe from the 70s (which I am guessing it is from), but all in all, I just don't think this is a Peterson product.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I agree, but I have to take back the apostrophe "S". One of my pete's does use the 's
But the "P" is unlike any I've seen. Hmm...

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Logo definitely doesn't look right. Also has a $15.99 sticker in one of the pictures...
Here's actual logo for comparison.
images

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
And it is only $32.00. Something is not right. If it does not seem right, it usually isn't. IMHO

Aug 1, 2012
I can't find anything specific but it looks like a different brand. There are several other types of lighters and even a few hand warmers made by "Peterson's" out there and they seem to have no connection with the Irish brand. It looks like a nice, quality piece but I would wait for one to come around a little cheaper. The last few went for $10-20.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks everyone for your comments. I didn't bid. It went for $32, which is likely fair since it looks like a decent lighter no matter what - but I'm glad I held off.

Status
Not open for further replies.