PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
on a standerd pipe this is bad i know but why? and with a military bit it aint a problem but what about a screw type with a stinger do i have to wait till it is cool to disasemble and clean ?

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
good cuz this pipe wont pass a cleaner because the way the stinger is made and I like to pass a cleaner through a pipe when it is still warm. It may be just me but I think the cleaner does a better job while the tar is still warm

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Get a pair of pliers, grip around stinger, quick twist and pull, a bit like dentists do, throw stinger into nearest bin, problem solved and bet the pipe has a better draw on it and won't need a pipe cleaner up it so much. :wink:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No, you can unscrew the stem while smoking the pipe to wipe tar and condensation off the stinger.
But you cannot always remove the stinger--unless you take a hacksaw to it!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
And to follow up regarding the removing the stinger, some pipes actually work better with the stinger in place rather than removed. I have some that do at any rate.
Oh yeah, what everyone else said, unscrew while warm is no problem at all.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
i will not be removing the stinger it looks to be a once peice unit and i kinda like stingers just this one style wont let me run a cleaner all the way to the bowl

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
on a standerd pipe this is bad i know but why?
Because it could crack the pipe. I know first hand i had to band a pipe after i cracked it. screw in bits and military bits are made to take apart while warm.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
if u like the stinger mate, sometimes its ok to reduce the draw a bit then maybe u could just hacksaw the tip off it just to the hollow part and then u can run a cleaner tru it and the draw will still be a bit reduced. I find pipes with entire stingers left in have a tendancy to gurgle part way tru the smoke

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I hear German pipers often puff away with the stem partly out (or partly in). I wonder if this is so they can dismount the stem while the pipe is warm or even in progress. If you look at a photo of Einstein puffing, you will see he did this practice.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.