PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
The "civil war" in Syria again has brought the fighting to Latakia, the region that produces the wonderful tobacco we enjoy so much.
Today from Reuters:
Assad's forces are on the defensive in his family's home province of Latakia, and recent rebel gains across northern Syria, including a military air base captured last week in Aleppo province, have further loosened his grip on the country.
Read the entire story here.

Dec 24, 2012
Just for clarity, my understanding is that they don't produce it Latakia in Syria currently, and haven't for some years (hence the growing rarity of Syrian Latakia). Rather, it is produced in Cyprus.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
It is tragic indeed. I have been to Latakia and it is a beautiful city and I would hate to ruined by war. (not to mention all the possible lives lost)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There was reason to believe, a couple of years ago, that Syrian Latakia was going to be produced once again.

I guess the ban was a measure to protect the trees that are burned to fumigate shekk-el-bint tobacco.

Not too long ago though, Greg Pease mentioned in a post here that we may never see Syrian Latakia again.

McClelland apparently has a stash of it.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Not to add to the confusion, but Syrian latakia is quite rare now and differs from the Cyprian version.
Are there noticeable differences in taste?

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
My perception of Syrian Latakia is that it is a bit deeper and more savory than Cyprian Latakia, but Cyprian is more robust or sharp in its smokiness. It probably depends a lot on a blend's composition as to which leaf would be better. There are plenty Cyprian Latakia blends that I think are probably better off with Cyprian leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.