PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The Lehigh Valley Pipe Club met tonight and Dan and Russ brought some War Horse Plug for us to try. First, I want to apologize for the crappy photo, second, if anyone has any question about what they perceive this plug should be let me put that to rest; War Horse plug is a robust powerhouse. Make no mistake; this is not for the weak of heart.

I had 2 bowls and found that it met my expectations of what I had heard about the storied blend. It is excellent. The plug is very dense, akin to Warrior Plug. The tobacco composition is different from WH Loose Cut. This is a true British plug with tobaccos sourced from fields that the Empire would have supplied. There is a hint of topping but nothing intrusive to the pure tobacco taste. In other words, nothing fancy here just tobacco goodness with a significant nicotine hit in store for the smoker. Like most plugs prep time helps but once you get it lit it's cool long smoke.

Folks, this was worth the wait and we finally have an American made plug that will satisfy fans of the British, Irish and European offerings.
dnGBLql.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for that. So, the plug is actually made from Empire tobaccos (Brazillian, African, e.g.)? If so, that's great to hear -- very jealous of those of you who've had the chance to try it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Whoo hoo! Can't wait to try this one. I'm working in Ireland this year, so I've been able to smoke Warrior's, Condor, Yachtsman and Velvan to my heart's content, but I'm really excited about War Horse.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
davet, the consensus last night was War Horse is a plug on steroids. More than one member was slightly dizzy from it. There was also a bar of the original War Horse from about 35 years ago. The similarity in appearance was spot on. This is pure tobacco taste made with high quality leaf. Strength wise I'd put is a bit above what you'd get from SG 1792/Cob Plug without the 1792 taste profile due to it's tonquin flavor.

To be fair, this is a blend for experienced pipe smokers; best if it's sipped and on a full stomach.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo papi - re: "To be fair, this is a blend for experienced pipe smokers; best if it's sipped and on a full stomach." - and that's why I took precautions with a 16 oz ribeye first. I ate all the marbled beef fat too and that WHP helped mightily with the digestion process. I have to do the A-B thang with the WH Loose Cut a couple of times to figure out the differences in flavor profiles. Besides the nic potency, the Plug intrigued me how RussO captured the sensibilities of the Loose Cut but in a more intense form. Yet both of them have a sense of refinement and lack of raw edges that the Irish and Brit plugs exhibit to me. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).
In either case, wimps need not apply.
hp

les

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I was surprised to find a few members of pipe-related Facebook groups are raising a big stink about this. Some are pretty upset and I just don't get it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
War Horse plug is a robust powerhouse. Make no mistake; this is not for the weak of heart.
I am very glad to hear this. It should always be a monster, in honor of its legacy!
In the same way black metal music should always be disturbing...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually it is one fellow who we have never met or spoken too who seems to be fixated on the subject. We are not sure if it is us or the blender but I am sure you remember the melt down over here when we made the announcement of the launch in the early summer and the chap went bat sh*t and was banned from this forum.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I found your problem. Avoid the big moron sites -- Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia, Amazon, Reddit -- and your internet experience is a billion times better and more interesting ;)

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Wait, someone is having a bad one about the re-into of War Horse Bar?
People's ability to get into the the far reaches of stupidity continue to amaze me.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
One former forum member has left a string of invective across every forum that has not banned him about the company, its products and even Dan! It seems to stem from the fact we wouldn't tell him what was in the blends and seemed to turn on an argument about what was a 'match blend' compared with a direct recreation of the original blend. I believe now he has started up on War Horse which is quite amusing as you couldn't pay for this type of advertising! :crazy:

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
A la James the First here's a (somewhat recycled but appropriate) "Counterblast" to the obnoxious fellow:
Here's a HUZZZZA!

To all the Pros.

Woodsroads,Condorlover

And Russ O.

They make the stuff

We like to smoke.

And without those guys

We wouldn't be

Quite so (happily)broke!
Plugugly

Status
Not open for further replies.