War Horse Bar from the Late 60's - Group Tasting

(141 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by ashdigger
  • Latest reply from condorlover1
  1. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rode the War Horse. It kicked and bucked. I'm going to break protocol and post my review.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my official review.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking some STC War Horse Bar in anticipation.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks wonderful, Ash...can't thank you enough!

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It will be interesting to see whose still here in a few days!

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Think more like the Laurel and Hardy Murder Mystery!

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is so very exciting! I'll give you my vote, Ashdigger, if you promise that when you become president you'll make it possible for europeans to go to these parties.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha! Lovely review, Ash!

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

I am preparing a nice quiet place on the floor with lots of chocolate and bottled water handy in case in knocks me out for a few days. Or alternatively if I spend several hours in Nirvana with a happy goofy look on my face mumbling about War Horses at least I'll have rations nearby. Either way, you guys will get a full review.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It arrived. I really don't know what to say? It is probably the strongest pipe tobacco that I've ever smoked? The smell in the nice little pouch that Ash packaged it in was kind of intoxicating. It's deep, rich, and subtly medicinal. I sliced my piece up a bit and then rubbed it out a little. I smoked it in a old Dunhill billiard. It was hard to keep lit, which was good because it made me really experience it. It's tobacco for sure. I had to sit it down at one point. The flavor is like nothing I've had before. It's strong and robust with the strangest taste. I'm really at a loss as to what to compare it to? Maybe well done game meat with burnt rosemary and a dash of hippie oil? It's not bad, but not real good either. Again, it's strong on all angles which I like. I'm definitely feeling it. Thanks Ash! A once and a lifetime experience.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Preface:
    Not sober. 2/3 of a 1/5.
    Thank you sir for providing the opportunity to partake in this... experiment?
    I received today, a Mylar ziplock bag w/ 2 little chunks of the almighty War Horse Bar. 1 piece ~ .5” x .5” x .5”. The other about a third of that size. Took a benchmade to the pieces of plug to cube cut best I could. Gravity filled a meerschaum cutty and only got about 1/3 bowls worth. No matter, I’ve benefited greatly from the generosity of ash among others from this forum, and was truly appreciative. Charring light left me with watery eyes. Mind you all, I’m a pack a day cigarette smoker, head down mowing the lawn, cigarette in mouth- smoke rising up to my face, never a bother. First impression- wet dog hair. 2nd match. Determined, I kept at it. After all this, has been sitting in some dark corner for the past 50 years. 3rd match. 1/2 way thru the small bowl I started to sense a bit of sweetness, maybe savory? I’m not sure... I’m really trying to like it. I thought to myself, ‘if this was what pipe smoking was all about, I could happily abandon this hobby of mine,’
    Then I started to notice the drooling. What the hell? I kept at it. More drool. If I wanted to catch a buzz this badly I could think of a number of more pleasurable paths. Slow down, I thought to myself. Gently sipping, I noticed a burning in the back of my throat as if I had been inhaling. Why are there 5 matches in my ashtray?? Where did the time go? What have I been doing?
    6th match. Glad it was only 1/3 of a bowl. I’m over it. Going to sleep. Glance at the counter... why is there still 1/2”x1/2”x1/2” cube still in the ziplock bag??
    Going to sleep now, looking forward to round 2!

"There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live."

-Molière
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been a long time since I was both this excited and this apprehensive about something. lolz

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@CondorLover, Simon, Thank You for the added info on the British cigarettes from the past and how they were like , now to these WarHorse and Condor plugs,really I can't stop wondering what kind of men smoked these like overly heavy in nicotine blends all they long,those men must have been a real bad asses'and I must assume some of those folks from the past might have been starting their smoking journey just only with these like nicotine hammer blends,yet I'd guess some of them while being young lads may have been winding up in hospitals after attempting smoking these or other strong ropes for the first time.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is Sunday...waiting for Monday...hoping it is there...gonna smoke a smidgen and take the rest with me to N.C. to a good friend of 6 years...write him bout every day for 6 years...never met him, but he is still my brother and that is why I am taking this treasure up to him so we can both experience this wonderful tobacco together. Maybe Lonecoyote will be there too, in which case he will be included in the party.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The waiting is the hardest part.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jmill, nice Tom Petty reference. I also like "I'm the night watchman"; although, some of you might be spinning toward a "breakdown".

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was thinking more like Free Falling...

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I received my sample Saturday. Unable to smoke it yet. I did give it a whiff and passed out.

Hopefully I can give it a go today.

Thanks again!

Jason
    Posted 2 months ago #
  20. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to today's mail...hopefully the package will be there...ready to ride that horse, even had breakfast since I don't want to be on the floor looking up and wondering how I got there.

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m sorry, it’s been a busy weekend, I haven’t even checked my mailbox yet. I’ll check it today when I get back home. I’ll plan on smoking some tonight if it has arrived.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe well done game meat with burnt rosemary and a dash of hippie oil?

Hahaha, lovely description, sounds like I’m going to love it!

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Checked the PO box this morning. But I'm further east than most of you, so fingers crossed it arrives soon!

Maybe well done game meat with burnt rosemary and a dash of hippie oil?

Cool! Sounds like it's still fresh, then.

Posted 2 months ago #
  24. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got it, Thanks, Ash...gonna send you back a little something to show my appreciation for the chance to sample a little history.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reminded me of a small block of opium, brought back from Viet Nam...said "that lil bit is not gonna do nothing"...then I light it up....and it lit me up...three puffs and I was headed for the A/C...like right in front of it.

Many thanks, Ash...finally got to see what the big boys smoked way back when...they must have had cast iron lungs...was nice and flavorful...sort of like on the order of Condor...I have a tiny briar paneled pipe that I use for testing high octane stuff...only a few chips in it was enough for me to lie down...this is a real treat! Savin the rest for when I go see a brother in NC, I'll be taken this pipe with me...only thing to smoke this in...something really small.

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

It's here, it's here, it's here!

Settling down with my smallest pipe (a nice little Wilmer Featherlight) and a glass of iced tea immediately after we finish our supper to see what happens. Stay tuned for the review immediately following. Unless I'm incapable of coherent thought, LOL.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine arrived today. I'm planning to try 'er out on a full stomach tomorrow evening. I have a small pipe for testing, a decently high nicotine tolerance, and high expectations.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  28. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Haha, I love some of the reviews. This stuff must be really something. And to think this was readily available years ago. There must have been some tough SOB's back in the day.

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks got mine today... smells perdy awesome. I won’t be able to get to it tonight but I’ll be toking up tomorrow fo sho! Thanks again, Ash, you da man, mang!

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Whew! That's some potent stuff. It was a real pleasure to smoke it and yes, those old timers were probably how the notion of Hobbits got started, because a regular diet of this tobacco would have stunted their growth and caused hair to grow on their feet.

Dark and compact presentation, pressed into dense bar. Smelled strong as I rubbed it out, with some decent effort. Required no dry time (turns out more than a half century was sufficient) and needed several relights. At first puff there was a Condor / Lakeland type of scent or taste, but it was rather mild and not terribly noticeable throughout the smoke, although it never really disappeared. Strong, with a slightly acrid edge, reminiscent of a blend with cigar leaf. The retrohale nearly cauterized my sinuses, so I didn't do that very much. Rich, hearty with a tangy and smoky flavor, it reminds me of Samuel Gawith Kendal #4 a bit. Burned to a fine ash, little moisture left in the bowl, although the pipe did get warmish towards the end. I didn't fall down and the room didn't spin, but that's probably because I've been smoking G&H and SG ropes a lot lately and also because I had just eaten a hearty meal and used a very small pipe. Absent one of those criteria I might have fallen down and the room probably would have spun.

Altogether, a fantastic experience for which I am deeply grateful to Mr. Ash for! Thank you, sir! I still have enough for probably 1-1/2 or 2 more pipes. Just not tonight.

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, I’m smoking as I type. Took the plug and sliced into cubes and then broke it up. Loaded my Scottie Piersel pencil shank canted egg. It’s a small bowl, so the amount I had was perfect for it. Went to eat dinner.
    Initial light gave that floral note I heard about. I was not sure I could go on. But I have pushed through and it has subsided. Flavor is lighter than I expected, none cloying. Almost clean smoke and light tasting. Not harsh at all. Through the nose has a bit of spiciness. Made me wince a bit.
    I’m puffing lightly as to not create too much heat as this little pipe can get there quick. Couple of relights due to that as well. Slight gurgle, but it went away and I’m getting the nicotine now. Very tolerable. But I’m not pushing my luck.
    This is a pleasant tasting tobacco now. I could smoke a bit everyday and see the allure. Doesn’t bite. Not sure if time has mellowed this bar but I’m sure it has.
    30 minutes on now....Still very mellow, but the nicotine hit is increasing. I am sitting here for a while as getting up might just be pushing it. I even let it go out and contemplate.

Tiny puffs is where it’s at. Slowly, methodically.

45 minutes now. A bit of swimmy headedness is happening..don’t push it. Still great tasting. I imagine it will smoke all the way down like this. Very consistent.

Thanks to ash digger for the opportunity. It was a fantastic smoke. Hope I held up my end well.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m done....down to ash. I’ve set it aside and am glowing. Think I’ll just sit here a while and pet my cat. It’s a ride.

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Received mine today. Thanks Ash!
    This is going to be a sit on the porch and savor kind of bowl. Review to follow.

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, pet the cat...I know that feeling...just finished the tiny chunk I had left over from the first time I lit it...retrohale...whew, I'm sweating...this is a monster...gotta take the rest with me up to NC to share with a friend...he won't believe it...it is that strong....can't imagine having a whole brick of it...would last my lifetime.

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

War Horse arrived, today, and it smells GREAT. The scent has faded somewhat, I imagine, but the tobaccos are rich and earthy. Really looking forward to trying this out when I have the time to do it right.

Posted 2 months ago #
  36. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used a cigar cutter to shave the hard cube and it broke off into slices that were easy enough to rub out and get into smoking condition. Surprisingly, I think I can get two bowls out of the cube. It was very compact.

The pipe of choice was a small Baraccini poker pipe that would usually not have been my preference, but happens to be one of the smallest pipes I own. It's been unsmoked for a few years and no ghost remained so it seemed like a good candidate. A small bowl because caution was in order. Because of other distractions, the pipe was packed for an hour or so before it saw a flame.

Upon lighting, a very floral earthy note came forward while an almost strong pungent (tar-like) taste lingered on the back of the tongue. After a few small puffs the pipe went out. Upon relighting I was again hit with the floral note but the bad taste was gone. An almost strong earthy tobacco taste remained. The anticipation of the nicotine hit had me treading lightly, but I was starting to actually enjoy the stuff. Difficult to keep lit for me, but that helped to slow the pace. The nic 'glow' did come, but I didn't have any sort of ill effect from it.

It's hard to nail down a comparison on the taste. Definitely reminded me of the G&H Irish X, but not really. Maybe if Condor and G&H Irish had a baby and it went rogue? I'm conflicted, but it was a fun trial.

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its an interesting tobacco. I have a bunch of these plugs in a glass jar and I will always buy any unopened stock that comes onto the market. In my humble opinion the nearest thing I can compare this with is my own 'Warridor' blend which is an mixture of Warrior and Condor Plug with a very small amount of Black XXX thrown in to amp things up a little. It is very enjoyable in a small bowl and delivers that perfect nicotine hit.

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was excited to have the release of Father the Flame coincide with the arrival of my sample of War Horse Bar so I prepared the sample to smoke while I watched the film that I’ve been anticipating for years now. The smell of the plug in the pouch was smoky and meaty, something stout for sure just sniffing it in the pouch sprouted a few new chest hairs! Lol. The sample I got was enough to fill up about 3/4 of a squat Bulldog that I picked to sample this blend. Again, I have experience with smoking some War Horse from the 80’s but this was an entirely different experience and to be honest, one that I wasn’t too fond of. Very harsh and unpalatable is how I would describe the charting light, left a bad after taste in my mouth. As I continued smoking it, against my better judgement, it did calm down some and some “not-so-bad” flavors emerged but I think that age was not kind to this one over the years and I believe it lost a lot of its natural oils from being dried out over the years (decades?). All in all I’d say this one was over the hill and passed the point of no return and if I had to choose, I’d smoke just about anything over that a second time, not the best experience on my end. It did have a nice boldness from time to time and if it were properly kept over the years I’d probably experienced a moment of ecstasy but this experience was more dysphoric than anything. This was the only time I’ve been glad I only had a sample large enough for one small bowl. Thanks for sharing Ash, I appreciate the experience and I’m sorry I didn’t have better things to say about it. The War Horse Bar from the 80’s that I tried was much better kept over the years and while not the beast it was made out to be, it was a pleasurable smoke.

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, that's the roll of the dice with these blends. Your review is very good, for someone who smokes tar. Lol.

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha, thanks... I think.

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

So I just got done smoking a big black hunk of Horse that arrived in yesterday's mail from Vegas... It got me pretty high, sure enough, but I can still type no problem.

First of all -- Thank you, Ash! That was a really cool experience I never would have had were it not for your generosity and pipe-smoking comradery. I've never attempted to write anything like a tobacco review or verbally describe a tobacco with words other than "I like it" or "I don't like it," so bear with me.

I have to say that the main surprise was just how much I actually enjoyed smoking this. I thought it was going to be one of those capital-E "Experiences" that might not be pleasant, but build character. But no, it was a downright pleasant smoke. I'll address the nicotine content first, as that seems to be top of mind - and also because I'm a big nicotine hog, love the stuff, been heavily addicted to it my entire adult life. It's "definitely not an all-day smoke," as they say, but it's not a monster either. Of the stuff I smoke frequently, I'd put it somewhere in GH Dark Flake US territory. More nic than Irish Flake, for sure, but not by a huge margin. I've gotten more ripped puffing Doblones hard on an empty stomach.

Prep was a cinch. Just cut my chunk (NB: from the prime bar real estate of the "W") into 1/8" slices and gave it a quick rub. I put a little aside for a finer rub to top the bowl.

I chose a pipe that's not quite my smallest, but that seemed right given Ash's well-known partiality for Petes: a dainty little Peterson Deluxe 407 London Made with an orific bit. I don't know anything about the pipe, but it came from a southern English coastal town, and the way it smelled when I got it, and something about the way it was charred by a previous owner somehow make me think that it was no stranger to War Horse and other blends of the gnarly plug persuasion. I use it for the new War Horse (I'm a fan, btw) and various other heavy-duty smokes, so I knew it was up to the task. I gave it a week off in preparation for this vintage War Horse adventure. It did not disappoint one bit - it was a perfect pairing for me and gave me some great clarity.

After jumping around a lot and trying to twist out of captivity during the char, the Horse was very well-behaved in the bowl. Mild-mannered, even. It turned into a rock-hard pebble of smoldering goodness within a couple minutes, but then burned down into some of the finest, softest dark-gray ash I've ever encountered. Like dirty talcum powder. It left no moisture to speak of in the bowl, shank or stem. Like others, I had a lot of relights, but mostly because I kept forgetting what I was doing and staring off into the trees with pipe cooling in my hand. I tried out a fairly quick cadence a couple times, and I didn't get any real harsh, bitter notes, just some stinging of the gums. I certainly couldn't make it bite. Nice rich smoke. Retrohales were a little rough to take, but provided a nice rush. French inhales were like snorting high-dollar eau de cologne with some fiberglass mixed in - flowery and burn like hell and make you wonder why on Earth you just did that.

The thing that *really* floored me is how strong the floral toppings still are all these years later. The charring light(s) was a bit acrid, but after that it was all Tea in the Rose Garden. And these were real, honest to goodness floral notes, as in they actually taste like flowers smell (definitely rose, maybe geranium, plus something else) - as opposed to tasting like Tide Pods taste. I like Lakeland Essence in small, infrequent doses, but this was kind of a different animal, and the floral toppings they use these days taste fakey to me by comparison. War Horse was, in that respect, an eye-opener for me. The flowers kind of dominated the first 1/3 or so of the bowl, but they sat the sweaty horse of some very tough tobacco with aplomb and did just enough to keep it from rearing its moldy-tea-stinking head too much. I also detected a sweetness, but it was of the fruity variety (overripe plums, blood orange slice left out overnight, maybe barberries) - no idea what it is, and it surprised the hell out of me. The florals steadily died away in the second half and were replaced in the last 1/4 by that very pleasant fruitiness at front and center. The bowl went out on the fruit and a touch of bittersweet cigary-ness.

Overall impression - a fine, long, spaced-out smoke on a lovely evening. My only regret is that I didn't have a heavier meal beforehand, so I'll save the remaining hunk for our next steak night. Thanks again, Ash!

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I finally found some time to sit down and try my sample of War Horse Bar.

The topping/scent is faded somewhat, of course, but I can still taste what seems like heliotrope and probably valerian, too.

Oh my. This is a stout, earthy tobacco. Really catches the throat, like burley. The first few puffs are bracing (in a good way). Even though it's stout, and a little rough around the edges, it's fairly smooth at the same time. The flavors are all really well integrated. The room note is AMAZING.

I can see the resemblance to the STC War Horse reboot, but the underlying tobaccos are somewhat different and the steam pressing of the original seems to have melded the flavors together in a more unified way.

The smell is different, too. More of a cigarettish kind of scent, less cloying and play dough-like. The tobacco smell is more prominent than the marshmallowy scent of the valerian.

Just the same, the STC boys got the flavor mix pretty darn close. I mean, it's really close to the original. I think with a different mix of tobaccos and a slightly different pressing process, it would have been a near perfect match.

There's a touch of underlying sweetness along with the stout earthiness about midway through the bowl. In that respect, it reminds me of Warrior Plug, but less sweet, not quite as smooth, and a bit more stout. In other words, way better than Warrior. And yeah, this is a strong tobacco, but not much stronger than lots of Lakeland flakes, and definitely no stronger than brown ropes (at least for this smoker).

I haven't been this excited about trying a new tobacco in a long time. Thanks for sharing, Ash!

Posted 2 months ago #
  43. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Getting a touch of tar here towards the end of the bowl. Damn, I like it!

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I take it back -- this might be stronger than brown ropes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  45. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is why I do this. I love these reviews.

Posted 2 months ago #
  46. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warhorse Bar: From a Nic-Wuss's Perspective.

Holy Shit.

So I have been waiting for the best opportunity to try this, having heard the warnings. I dropped my kiddo off at school and had a few hours before I needed to meet up with my co-author and continue final revisions on out master's thesis.

I ate a large meal of bisquits and gravy with ketchup and tobasco, accompanied by coffee with cream. I went home and loaded up my 1976 group 2 Dunhill with 3/4 of the smaller cube of Warhorse.

Pipe:

Warhorse is a great name for this tobacco. If it were made anew, I would name it Fragrant Freight Train, Scented Steamroller, or some such.
    Puffing on it before I lit it was wonderful. The flavors spoke of a magical event with the addition of fire.

The initial puffs from the first match carried that flavor that some old tobaccos have. Spiciness and that taste that is a palatable and enjoyable form of something that vaguely reminds me of my mom's aquanet (I know that sounds bad,but I am still a rookie at flavor profiling. It was yummy). Still, the spice of the first few puffs were super spicy, but not overwhelming.

The next match had that all fall away and just give that fragrant, aged yumminess that I was hoping this would be. I made it about 1/3 of the way through that bowl, enjoying every puff when I could feel the edges of my reality starting to warp (Nic-wuss alert!). I stopped and will have a little more of it after lunch. I expect to enjoy each iteration as much as the first.

Thank you so much for the opportunity. I will weigh in again.

Posted 2 months ago #
  47. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hooray!!! My package arrived today. Looking forward to sampling it tonight after dinner.

Posted 2 months ago #
  48. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In case you were wondering, even the dottle and ash has a good amount of nicotine. Looking forward to my last little bowl of this stuff.

Posted 2 months ago #
  49. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In case you were wondering, even the dottle and ash has a good amount of nicotine.

I knew this stuff was jacked with nicotine, so when I handled it I wore exam gloves.

DEAD SERIOUS.

I should have photographed my gloves. They had this road tar-like substance on them.

Posted 2 months ago #
  50. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I love reading these reviews. It puts a smile on my face thinking about it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  51. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm still dying to break into my sample, but the weather has been far from cooperative the last couple of days.

Posted 2 months ago #
  52. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Late 60s War Horse review:

First a big thank you to Ashdigger for making this possible. I'm using a MM Eaton for this experience. I broke up my cube and fill my pipe about 3/4 full with enough leftover for another smoke tomorrow. Charring light I get the taste of geranium and valerian. True light and I'm getting more tobacco flavors mixed with the floral top note. My tobacco is very dry but it still is hard to keep burning; many relights. A little harsh to retrohale. As I smoke down through the bowl the tobacco comes forward, earthy notes and a little nutty. Floral notes are still there but more subdued than at the beginning of the smoke. Nicotine? Oh yeah there is a lot but going slow with all the relights help make this survivable. Plus the smoke killed all the mosquitoes buzzing around my head.

Overall a pleasant experience that I look forward to repeating tomorrow with the remaining tobacco. Compared to the new version by SToP I find this not as sweet but better balanced between the floral and the tobacco notes which may be due to the aging process. Strength is about the same.

Posted 2 months ago #
  53. werebear

werebear

Login to Send PM

I come back almost every day just hoping for a new review to be up. These are hilarious.

Til shade is gone, til water is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared,
    Screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  54. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

-Awesome thread!

This is a blast to follow. Thanks everyone for sharing experiences! Extra thanks for pictures.

ashdigger, you should be commended for your instigation ... provided everyone survives.

Posted 2 months ago #
  55. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fired up my sample in a 1950 GBD, size 3.4. Chose a 2003 wooden match from The Strip House in Vegas. The sulphur burn off was redolent with tones of turpentine and, well, sulphur, of medium quality, such as found in all restaurant and club matches of the era. After the initial burn, the heavenly scent of smoldering pine gave off notes of Northern Oregon forest, the Bend are, is my guess. Deeper tones of sphagnum moss—the type that grows only in that region— lingered in the nostril for a few seconds, and then the flame stabilized, once again revealing its piney origins, with nary a grassy taste. The flame shifted to a clear bright orange as I drew it down to near the top of the tobacco.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  56. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have now ridden the War Horse.

My cube arrived pretty dry, but that's how I like to smoke, so I didn't add any more water to the party. I used a sharp chef's knife to roughly chop up the cube, and gravity filled it into my small (group 2-ish) Crappy Pipes billiard. In the bag, I got some of the floral scent which has been mentioned by other reviewers, but in the pipe I was only tasting tobacco. The chopped up plug took a little lighting, but once lit burned fairly well.

The retro-hale was a little rough around the edges, and this was by no means a mild smoke, but it wasn't uncomfortably harsh at any point. Mostly I was tasting good, slightly harsh dark-fired tobacco. Burned down to a very soft white ash. Required about an average number of relights for a plug.

But you don't care about any of that-- you care about Lady Nicotine.

I have to say, it's the highest-octane pipe tobacco I've ever smoked. I'm far from a lightweight in the nicotine department, and have never gotten a nic-hit from a pipe before. Well that all changed today. I didn't get bowled over, and I didn't get sick, but this stuff has some serious punch.

The uninitiated need not apply to this heavy hitter. If you're looking for a smoke that will test your mettle, this is the one.

If anyone needs me, I'll be laying on the couch feeling a nice, warm glow.

Posted 2 months ago #
  57. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the flavor of this tobacco. It is very peppery on the tongue, though. I have to get 4 puffs into the smoke to get past that. Then the spicy yet flowery flavors come into their own and I can enjoy the smoke...until the nic forces me to stop.

Smoking this stuff is a serious task. Great stuff, however.

Posted 2 months ago #
  58. the85boro

the85boro

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to receiving mine. Gonna be a smoke to remember

Leaves Into Ash
    Posted 2 months ago #
  59. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Sounds like it was all it was cracked up to be.

Posted 2 months ago #
  60. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha! Lovely review, Ash!
    I'd say his review must be "dead" on...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  61. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great reviews, ya’ll. I’ve really enjoyed everyone’s take on this. I feel like I would have loved this stuff when it was relatively fresh but we all know that’s not gonna happen and it’s really no secret that I don’t like the current iteration.

Posted 2 months ago #
  62. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hmm... I read every one of those reviews, and no one else died?

I'm disappointed Ash...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 months ago #
  63. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm... I read every one of those reviews, and no one else died?

Just the mosquitoes.

Posted 2 months ago #
  64. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having my last little bit of this right now in a little "Free State" Peterson apple with a P-lip bit (seemed an appropriate delivery device for this legendary Irish tobacco).

Posted 2 months ago #
  65. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't done much more than a charring light and damn this is strong!

The Peterson is ghosted by STP War Horse, so it actually augments the flavor of the original a little.

I'm truly grateful for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Er, twice-in-a-lifetime.

Posted 2 months ago #
  66. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Granted, I haven't slept much lately, but I just took four puffs and had to put it down. Guess I'll be smoking War Horse for a third time later, today.

Posted 2 months ago #
  67. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Tonight I had just the tiniest bit of the sample leftover so I mixed it with some PS Norwegian - waste not, want not. Just enough to fill up my tiniest briar pipe.

It worked out pretty well. I've done this before with some of the G&H / SG ropes when I just wanted to tame it down a bit. Yup, enjoyed that.

Thanks again Ash, you're a stand up guy and I think we all appreciated your kindness in providing the opportunity. Cheers!

Posted 2 months ago #
  68. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got home from a camping trip. Among the thousands of flyers stuffed into my mailbox I found it. The horse had arrived. Im very excited to try this one out. Ill report back after I get a bowl into me. Thanks Ash!

Posted 2 months ago #
  69. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been fascinated by the comments on here and how people are able to detect the various nuances and flavors. It is indeed a strong smoke and highly reminiscent of my 'Warridor' blend. I would imagine that mixing the original with the new WH either RR or Bar would also produce some interesting results. All in all a very interesting group of comments that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and many thanks to Ashdigger for organizing this whole excursion back into the 1970s without anyone having to wear a pair of flared jeans!

Posted 2 months ago #
  70. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean I stayed up all night sewing my fingers to the bone to turn my straight leg jeans into bell bottoms, and it wasn't even necessary?!?!

Posted 2 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   voorhees, haparnold, pianopuffer, peregrinus, alexnc, timelord, corncobguy, craig61a, ben88, leafsmoker, deleon, elbert, danimalia, mso489, redglow