PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have read good things about the new blending of War Horse Bar. For those who have had the original and the new, and in a comparative but not negatively critical way, what are the differences? I am asking only to ponder how difficult it is to reproduce an old recipe with today's available ingredients with the hope of capturing the essence of the original.

Yeh, I don't know if just one thread would sum up the whole adventure. It has been revealed more in series of strings, making it a "Phorum Phenomena."
But, yeh a few folks older than dirt have tasted the original. But, I don't think making it exact was the plan. From what I understand, it is to the original War Horse, what Taco Bell is to Mexican food. And, I love the crap out of Taco Bell and War Horse. :puffy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In a word don't even try it! As one of the founders of The Standard tobacco Company I have wide experience in the question you are posing. It certainly can be done and has been done by us on a handful of blends. It costs money, time and you have to be prepared to endure every armchair experts opinion on the subject. Will it taste just like it did back in 1955? Well that is a subjective question as crop cycles, growing methods and strains of tobacco change and the weather all change and impact the final product. If you can find sealed and unadulterated examples of the desired blend to work from and procure the services of the greatest blender that has ever lived then yes it is totally a doable proposition. Will you make any money out of it. Probably not. With the new FDA rules it will never be allowed to go commercial so you will be your own best customer. If you want to ask questions get in touch with either me, Dan or Russ.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Oh, I think I must have stepped in the proverbial pile. I assumed, obviously wrongly so, that the new version (and any other "remake" namesake, that they are an attempt to duplicate the original. In any case, the question posed was purely academic in nature about the process and result. Kill the thread. I am satisfied with reading Kibos review and have ordered some to try.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
When you have purchased a tin you can then buy one of our War Horse jock straps and matching pipe tools. Actually Jim Inks was used as the crash test dummy to get the thing right. He was fed an original War Horse Bar to compare with the goodness knows how many photo types we went through trying to get it right. Actually its a miracle Jim is still with us and wasn't killed by Valarian root poisoning in our endeavors!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oh, I think I must have stepped in the proverbial pile.
Inadvertently to be sure. There have been some significant rows over the resurrection of this blend. Do a Google search, though the most inflammatory threads have been removed.
Besides, why try to remake something?
Because that something was really good and there's nothing like it around today. Why not remake it AND come up with new stuff as well. Hell, I like chicken fried steak and I can enjoy having it more than once. I don't need to have chicken fried steak foam because it's new.
I am asking only to ponder how difficult it is to reproduce an old recipe with today's available ingredients with the hope of capturing the essence of the original.
This presumes that a blend is fixed and unmoving, like a marble statue. But blends do shift over time, like Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture, like the original Warhorse, like a lot of blends which were revised during their runs.
Condorlover1 nailed it. Crops change, ingredients change, weather conditions, water, machinery, supervising blenders, all of this changes. The best one can do is sample the drops from the river and try to match to it and having a superior palate is key. That's what Russ brought to the project. That's what makes WhiteKnight a closer match to Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking mixture than is the Germain's product. A recipe isn't enough, because the components change constantly. A recipe is a starting point. So it's damned difficult.
All that said, I also agree with Cosmic's point that the blend should be evaluated on it's own merits, though given the lengths that SToP went to to analyze the contents of the samples, calling it Taco Bell is, putting it mildly, inaccurate.
Anyone here who can do a better job, put your effort where your opinion is and prove it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When you have purchased a tin you can then buy one of our War Horse jock straps and matching pipe tools. Actually Jim Inks was used as the crash test dummy to get the thing right. He was fed an original War Horse Bar to compare with the goodness knows how many photo types we went through trying to get it right. Actually its a miracle Jim is still with us and wasn't killed by Valarian root poisoning in our endeavors!
You forgot to mention the bellabonna.

Well, I'm sorry if you don't like Taco Bell. Phhht... :puffy:

Since I am never going to be within 100 Yards of an original War Horse bar, it really doesn't matter, but with all of the other Irish plugs that I have tasted, this one is nothing like any of them. I probably should have said that compared to "real" plugs in general, this one is like Taco Bell.
But, whatever. If you look for something to get upset in what I have said, you'll find it, ha ha. But, I have never ever ever had a negative thing to say about War Horse Bar. It is one of my favorites, with three dozen tins to show for it. I just didn't drink the Kool Aid on all of the nostalgia crap surrounding it.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Duplicate might be the wrong word but I think that the end result should be very similar to whatever is being resurrected. I've never had the original War Horse but I trust the judgment of those on here that have tried both and applaud the guys at SToP for bringing back these old names/blends. :clap:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, I'm sorry if you don't like Taco Bell. Phhht... :puffy:
Au contraire, I like their bean burritos and their little packets of sauce. They were hauled into court a few years back for fraud because their "beef" had so little beef in it and since I'm not a fan of eating rat anus, I haven't been a customer.
If you look for something to get upset in what I have said, you'll find it, ha ha.
If I ever go looking for something to get upset about from you, or anyone else's postings for that matter, it will be time for me to take the syringe since I will have clearly gone senile and run out of reasons to go on living.
Happening across something that I disagree with is another matter entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.