PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I have read numerous times that people will splurge on a pipe from their birth year. I feel that since I am young (born in December of 1990) I can find a fairly moderate priced high end pipe. I would love to have a rusticated bent bulldog.
What are your thoughts on this? How do I go about finding a pipe from my birth year? Do you all have any suggestions?
Thanks!

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Many pipes don't have an accurate dating system. Dunhill does, and Dunhills seem to be the most popular/common birth year buys.
Check out mkelaw-pipes.com or smokingpipes.com and look under estate pipes.
And happy hunting.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
The ultimate would be a Dunhill 4108 1990 Christmas pipe or a 5108. If you prefer smaller pipes you can look for a 3108.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Ha! As soon as I posted this thread, I knew I would be hearing about how young I was.
And thanks tarheel1, that's a perfect suggestion!

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Btw for a Dunhill you need to look for Made In England 30. The 30 gives you a year of 1990.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
You could also look for an Ashton with a "10" stamping. Bill Taylor, may he rest in peace, did some wonderful sandblasts. If you find a 1990 Ashton with stampings referencing a patent, then that pipe has been hand rusticated AND sandblasted.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
You got a few choices. Dunhill is obviously the easiest to go. They made a lot every year, but I've not seen a dunny so special worthy a birth year pipe.
Some established carvers in that era do accurate year stamping, like Sixten, Lars, Bo and Tokutomi. The price and uniqueness is worth a birth year pipe. However, they seldom made a bulldog ...

hirsute

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
Just get on evilbay and google 1990 pipe, then filter down to the tobacciana section. You'll find several makers with Pipe of the Year Offerings from 1990 such as Stanwell, Savinelli, and Peterson. You could also find an smaller artisan makers who date their pipes. One example off the top of my head is American Smoking Pipes from Mark Tinky and Curt Roller, but there are many others.

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
I wanted a pipe from my birth year, 1971, I found an unsmoked Meerschaum billiard and won it on eBay. It was fantastic.... Until my dog found it and chewed on it. I was enraged! But now that dog has passed unfortunately... That ugly pipe is still one of my best smokers... Funny how life can be...

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Congratulations on missing the '80s entirely.
I would also like to congratulate you on missing Disco and Post-Shark Happy Days episodes.
Whippersnappers, what to do with them? :rofl:

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I just want to say thank you for making me... and most of us here... feel old.
I initially thought, "What the hell is a ten year old doing on here?"
No disrespect, ssavarimuthu. I just have this weird quirk where I still think 1990 was ten years ago.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I just have this weird quirk where I still think 1990 was ten years ago.
It barely even seems that long ago. I find it astonishing to think that someone born in the 21st century can now be 16 years old.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is only one pipe to buy when it comes to birthyears, and that pipe is Dunhill. I have been looking for my birthyear(1957) for a few years now and have not found the right pipe. 1990 should be easy to find.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I didn't want to break the seal on this one, but yeah, now we all probably feel pretty old. My suggestion was to go to a B&M, and whatever pipes that have a thin layer of dust on them are probably from around 1990.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for the help everyone. And I am sorry to those I made feel old (or realize their age). Think of it as me starting young so that I may pass the tradition down to my children. :)
Glad to hear that I have a pretty solid shot at finding a great birth year pipe.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.