Wanted to Like Smoking the Pipe But ....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipo514

Lurker
Mar 2, 2013
Hello all -
My name is Dany and I am from Montreal. I am a cigar smoker and wanted to try the pipe for a change. I went to Blatter & Blatter today to buy a whole kit and ended up choosing a pipe by Blatter and their Reserve blend. The Blatter Reserve blend is supposedly based on the Sobranie Balkan?
After a couple tries, I came to the conclusion that it's not for me. I really wanted to like the pipe but I don't think it's for me. Even though it's a fantastic smelling tobacco blend at cold, I think I like Cuban cigars more.
Maybe I am doing something wrong or it's just not for me. I joined to learn more and see if I can change my mind.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well you shouldn't give up after one blend, that is a very nice looking pipe. Are you wanting something that tastes like tobacco? Cigars? Or something sweeter? I've been smoking for about 4 years and in that time I have found tobaccos that I love, some I hate, and many more that are just ok, but it took lots of experimenting to find the 'loves'.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Welcome to the forum, Dany. We're happy to have you. There's plenty of information here so, if you choose to stay with the hobby, we've plenty to offer.
I wish I could break it down easily. I too had a similar experience when I first started: I didn't care for it. Being hard headed, I wanted to try a few avenues before I finally called it quits. I'm glad I did not.
In the end, for me, it was the tobacco I was smoking. My first pipe, although cheap, was just fine. It was just the tobacco. When I finally picked up a few other blends, some tickled my palette, so to speak. Tobacco, pipe style, packing and lighting can all contribute to the enjoyment of a pipe. So some general rules of thumb (learned from mistakes I made) that help the experience become more pleasant:
1. Always sip from the pipe, don't draw too long or hard;

2. Don't fear re-lights. Better to re-light than puff like a steam engine and burn your mouth;

3. Pack your pipe in layers and don't pack it too tight. Imagine sipping water through a straw. If it feels similar to that, you're on the right track.

4. Be adventurous with your tobacco choices, even if the smell isn't so good. At first, the smell of Esoterica Penzance out of the tin made me want to gag; now I can't smoke enough of it.

5. This one is solely me: have a drink! Different drinks can really help bring out the flavor in a tobacco and help your palette adapt to the new sensations. I love drinking coffee when I smoke. Drink choice is yours, though.
I hope this helps. As I said, there's no one right answer. It's a matter of trial, error, and patience. Good luck, welcome, and hope you stick with it.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Dany
I hear you loud and clear. I had the same impression about 10 years ago with my first smoke of a pipe. What a pain in the butt to keep lit and not to mention the tongue bite I suffered for almost a week after my first few smokes.
However for some reason just last fall I decided to give it another try. I don't know what happened but the experience is much much better. And the more I smoke the pipe, the more I experience the subtle tastes of the different blends of tobacco. I agree smoking a cigar is so much easier but I like the idea of having a nice pipe at the end of a smoke to hold in my hand and have forever. I think this is what made me try again and try to give it chance.
I can say now I have had much better success, no tongue bite, slower smoking, and I can pack the pipe pretty good now and only have to re light a couple of times during a smoke. This hobby requires SO MUCH PATIENCE... But I think it's worth it.
In the end give to a few more bowls after reading up on this forum about methods and techniques.  If that doesn't work by all means take a break from it for a while. Maybe a long while....Don't sell or get rid of the pipe, you may want to pick it up in the future and then it will work for you.
Just for interest, what is it that you don't like about your first experience?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum.

One or two bowls isn't going to tell you much. Your pipe isn't broken in, you haven't learned how to smoke it yet, and the tobacco may not be the best one for you. Relax,take your time, and listen to the good advice you are going to get here.

From what I've seen of the reviews,looks like you have a fine choice in tobacco. Be patient!
And who says you can't smoke a pipe and cigars as well? I do, although it's a pipe the vast majority of the time.

pipo514

Lurker
Mar 2, 2013
Hi all and thank you for the welcome and information. You are all right, I shouldn't give up after a bowl or two. I have to keep trying. The whole "maintenance" to keep it going is also a turn off for me. As far as the Blatter Reserve blend is concerned, it's an excellent one but it may not be for me. As of now, I'll try a few more times and see how it goes.
Glad to be here.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Also important, and based on your comments, as you break in your pipe, the maintenance aspect will diminish. The more you smoke your pipe, the easier it will be to keep lit is what I mean.

pipo514

Lurker
Mar 2, 2013
Noted shaintiques, thanks.
Worse comes to worse, I'll see if I can sell. If not, it's a nice piece to have anyway.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Dany - Welcome to the forum! I think you did two very smart things to get yourself started. You went to a tobacconist. You didn't choose an aromatic blend for your first pipe tobacco. I moved to pipes from cigars myself only a few months ago. I'm not one of those who think everyone should start with an aromatic blend. Most aromatics smell great but don't taste like they smell. I think you have a good blend to start off with. I would suggest that you take your pipe and your tobacco to Blatter & Blatter and discuss your beginner experiences with them. I can't imagine that they wouldn't be eager to give you some pointers. Perhaps they will suggest a different blend based on your first experiences with this one. Maybe they will suggest a blend that would be easier to learn on and break your new pipe in with. I'll bet they want you as a pipe smoking customer! Good luck! - bp

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Hey Danny - one thing that id say is that pipe smoking is different from cigar smoking in that it seems to be to be a much slower activity. ie: it takes patience and even a little practice One thing I can tell you is that for as many cigars and tastes out there, there are as many (maybe) tobaccos to try. I think the real question is whether or not you like the act of smoking a pipe vs a cigar. You may or may not like whats involved with it.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think your experience is fairly common. My advice to all new pipe smokers is to buy a clean estate pipe, already broken in. This makes a huge difference in the experience. In fact, I wish someone had given me this advice... Secondly, as already suggested, it takes awhile to get the hang of smoking a pipe. It's not an easy process. Don't give up too soon or you'll be missing out on some amazing tobacco experiences.

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
Welcome, you should stick with it and try at least three different tobaccos. I would recommend trying an English, a Virginia, and an aromatic (although if you like cigars you may just want to try the English and Virginia).

pipo514

Lurker
Mar 2, 2013
Thanks again guys for all the info. It's all noted.
The tobacco blend I chose is not really to my liking. It almost feels aromatic but is not. Something I don't want or like.
I'll see if I can exchange it for another one on Monday. They have another one called London Blend that seems a lot milder.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Dany,
Does Blatter & Blatter still sell Samuel Gawith?
See if they have Full Virginia Flake or St. James Flake - these are top of the line Virginia tobaccos which will be quite different from the Blatter blends you have sampled.
It may cost you around $30+ but they are the pinnacle of the pipe smoking experience for a lot of smokers.
The Blatter blends may be good but they certainly aren't well known so people will have a better time addressing your concerns if you try a first class tobacco blend.
I caution you in advance if you choose to go that route:

a) Before each smoke, thoroughly dry out the amount of tobacco that you plan to use.

b) Cube cut the dried flakes. Take a scissors and cut horizontally, against the grain. This should leave the tobacco in small cubes. (Alternatively you can rub out the flakes to a loose cut, but this is harder to do)

c) Gravity fill the cubes into the pipe. Give it a light tamp, and enjoy...
This takes practise so try it until you find some satisfaction.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
As you can see, this forum is the best place for any pipe or tobacco questions.
My only advice would be to see if your local tobacconists will put together a few simple sized bags of their loose blends. The difference between some blends is huge. I can think of a couple of blends that, had they been my introduction to pipe smoking, would have put me right off.
Hope you give your pipe a few more goes before going back to cigars full time.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Cigars are a completely different experience from pipe tobacco.
It will take time for your palate to become attuned to the lighter flavours that the pipe tobacco offers.
Pipe tobacco is expensive as hell in Quebec so I can see why he would not want to buy a large variety of tobacco just to sample some things he does not like. (If I am not mistaken, quite a few of the Blatter blends contain latakia so if he is not a fan of that leaf then he will probably be disappointed by most of their offerings)
Find out what other tinned blends they carry and we can provide you with further suggestions.

pipo514

Lurker
Mar 2, 2013
Hi again guys and thank you again for the continuing input.
@ simenon: I don't know if Blatter & Blatter still has the Samuel Gawith you are referring to but I can find out on Monday. I will post back about it then. As far as the Blatter Reserve is involved, it reminds me of the Colts Rum & Wine. Something, I think, we all smoked when teenagers. It's a scent I don't like at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad tobacco, just not for me. I don't know what tobacco gives that scent (Latakia?). I am under the impression that their London blend is the same as the Reserve blend but less intense. Hopefully, Blatter can exchange the 50g I bought for another tobacco. The Blatter Reserve costs $21. If they can, I will seek for the Full Virginia Flake or St. James Flake you recommended. I'll also see what else they have in tins and report back.
That being said, if you guys can recommend blends that don't have that "rum & wine" scent, I would appreciate it. I am looking for something smooth yet rich. Not sure if such exist but if there are natural blends that have cocoa and coffee scents, even better. No raisins, no figs, no rum, no wine. :)
Regards,
Dany

pipo514

Lurker
Mar 2, 2013
Hi guys,
I came to the conclusion that pipe smoking, at least for now, is not for me. I prepared and lit another bowl tonight and it made me nauseous. It's just the blend, I really can't stand that rum and wine scent. I put it out and lite a Montecristo petit edmundo instead. Heaven. I am not going to bother going back to Blatter to see if I can exchange it or seek another tobacco. I understand that I shouldn't end it like this as there are tons of other greats tobaccos but the experience turned me off. I'll take a break for now.
As rothnh put it "you get of it what you put into it". I cannot agree more. I read various threads here and learned a lot. From how to fill up a pipe to how to play with different blends. However, I don't have the time, and honestly, the patience for it. I am not a tobacco blender and I prefer to have something ready to be smoked and enjoyed. KISS, keep it simple stupid. I guess smoking Cubans for now 10 years makes it hard for me to seek enjoyment else where.
Thank you all for your help, time and feedback.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dany, my Dad taught me to swim in one easy lesson.

He rowed me out into the middle of a lake and threw me in.

He said: "Swim or drown."

Well, getting to shore was the easy part.

Getting out of that bag was hard.
Moral of the story.... don't expect the first few pipes to be easy.

Especially when you start with a blend that is supposed to mimic a much storied blend.

You might swim with an Aro, before you dive into the deep stuff.
And, don't give up. Pipes are a horse of a different color. :wink:
Welcome aboard!
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.