PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,

I recently discovered that there are Walt Disney Stamped pipes! I'm sure that this isn't new news for many of you, but I am a huge Disney and, well, pipe fan. I have a modest collection of Disney items. I tend to collect rarer pins, and almost anything villain related. I also have some cool figurines of villains, and even an oil painting of Beauty and the Beast that my wife bought me on our first Christmas as a couple (she, her father, and her mother were/are cast members). I really would like to get my hands on one of these. I checked on ebay, but right now they only have one listed, and it is a little more beat up than I am looking for. Anyone know of a another place where I might be able to find one in decent condition? I don't want to smoke it, I'm more looking to keep it as a dual collectible.
Thanks for any tips!

--Randy

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Brian who does the Pipes Magazine Radio Show is a huge fan as well. See his FB page here.

https://www.facebook.com/DisneyTobaccianaCollection

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I bought a pipe in the Main Street tobacco store. It's a meerschaum-like substance. Seems too heavy to be the real deal and is not a great smoker. As you can see it's carved in the likeness of Walt himself. Ok, maybe not.

It's at least 35 years old though. No markings of any kind.
disney_zpsdfc67cfe.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And I thought I had a piece of Americana with my L.L. Bean straight pot pipe; I believe it was made for L.L. Bean

by Dr. Grabow. Finally traded it off for something I wanted more, but it was not a bad pipe. I'd like to see the

Disney pipe, to see what configuration it has (shape and stem) and to know how it's stamped and perhaps who

made it. Disney is, or was, pretty rigorous on licensing anything with their name, so it should have been a pretty

good pipe if it followed that formula. I admit I'm not the greatest fan of Disney corporate culture, although

some of the films are classics, and the parks are, in part, brilliant if somewhat rigid. I'd rather take kids to

national parks where the attractions are natural (mostly) and not invented by adults.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Randy (OP):
I hope you've taken the time to visit Brian Levine's Facebook page. It's probably safe to say that Brian is the best-known collector of Disney tobacciana -- and he's the host of our own Pipes Magazine Radio Show, which I think should be must-listens for every forum member. There are links on his FB page to Disney-related interviews he's done. In addition, Brian's collection was featured in a nice 4-page article ("Disney Pipe Collection" by Chuck Stanion) in the Fall 2005 issue of Pipes & Tobaccos magazine.
Bob

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Randy,

You're right, that pipe is in sorry shape. The only way to make it look good is to strip off the old finish and redo. Looses the collectability that way...

Spencer

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
@rmbittner I have checked out the article and some of the pictures. I have severe pipe envy, but I'm also happy that someone out there has amassed such a great collection of pipe and Disney history.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
You're right, that pipe is in sorry shape. The only way to make it look good is to strip off the old finish and redo. Looses the collectability that way...
If the price was lower I wouldn't mind paying someone refinish and restore it, but I think I'll wait for a nicer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.