PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Walt must know that I like to watch Game of Thrones in my Mancave and smoke barbaric-looking pipes, because today he posted an Elephant's Foot that I had to grab for that precise purpose.
Here is what Walt said about the pipe:
This pipe started out as a demonstration on how to read the grain direction in a block of briar, formulate a plan for the shape and construction based on the grain, and drill and shape it accordingly. I think you’ll agree that I did a good job! I did, however, deviate from my original design of a traditional Pickaxe/Elephant’s Foot shape as almost an afterthought. I was almost ready for final sanding when I decided to “skeletonize” the heel area for a little bit of dramatic flare… A good decision in my opinion!

A special thanks to Pat for pointing this one out to me.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks guys. Here's my other Game of Thrones pipe, which has been getting a workout this season. I really needed a Game of Thrones rotation.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lasse-skovgaard-pickaxe

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I love Cannoy and I love elephant foot pipes. I must say, I am a little jealous and I am usually not that kind of guy. :mrgreen: Congratulations on a wonderful score, it's truly a beauty.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Peck that is a real score. Walt is IMHO a truly unique pipe maker and has a style that stands alone. Beautiful stem color really makes that pipe pop. :D

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
That's a sharp looking pipe. Looks like a sharks tooth. The grain I really stands out. Nice acquisition. I'm jealous.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I think I liked you better when you were simply buying up all the good tobacco!
Geez, that Birdseye is off the hook and Walt really made the bamboo and white stem really pop without making it look gaudy. A great acquisition and yeah, I'm a little jealous too. ;-)

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I love the style and attention to detail throughout, instead of echoing all that has said, what really got me was the flow from the bamboo shape to the briar. Truly brilliant.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a fine piece of work in various ways. What I like about it is that it manages to be

truly extravagant while still somewhat formal and reserved. It's not trying too hard

to be dramatic. I've never seen anything quite like it. I like the earlier pipe, but this

one is a bigger concept, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.