PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesussex

Lurker
Apr 3, 2011
Theres a tobacanist where my girlfreind lives which I go to sometimes and they seem to have a lot of pipes in the shop made from walnut. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with walnut as a pipe material?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It would surprise me to see "a lot of" pipes made of walnut wood, since it seems to be considered

an alternative material; and there are more suitable substitutes for briar. Is it possible that

the word walnut refers to the briar's color stain? I think Carey pipes have a series called Walnut,

but I don't think it refers to the wood.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I have a Craftsman Walnut.It is actualy a briar and the "walnut" refers to the dark colour.Nice grain and smokes great.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
considering how alot of the nut trees can cause adverse reaction to the people working the wood, i would be shocked to see any pipe made of walnut.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
considering how alot of the nut trees can cause adverse reaction to the people working the wood, i would be shocked to see any pipe made of walnut.
They are out there. I have seen them made of all sorts of hardwoods. As I mentioned, I tried one once that was made of walnut, and I really can't recommend them.

davesussex

Lurker
Apr 3, 2011
They are all priced between £10 - £20 (posibly to cheap to be briar?) They have no makers mark are just stamped with walnut, they seem to have alot of alternative materials in the shop, I bought a Mr Brog pear wood pipe from them last year, I find it a really good smoke and one of my favorite pipes.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I assume you could still build up a cake on a walnut pipe. Am I wrong? Might depend on your smoking style/tobacco as well. If your pear wood works good for you, I wonder what the difference is between the two woods. The first cherry wood pipes were made of cherry wood after all. Now I think it means the shape of pipe more than the wood of the pipe. They sound reasonably cheap enough and after you build a cake it should probably cool it down and nuetralise any taste variations. I have a book in front of me now showing a pipe, pouch and a dunhill lighter that was sent to troops in WWII. The pipe is made of hickory as briar was hard to get ahold of. Those pipes must have smoked hotter than hel..

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I love the smell of walnut when I work with it. I am not sure I want it to affect the tobacco. I have plenty of fruit woods like apple, cherry, pear, etc so I don't need to use nut wood. Obviously briar is better, but I already own lots of dry wood.
Anyone want me to make a pipe for you out of "piss elm"? For a minor fee and shipping, I will send you the pipe and you can report how it smokes! Guess what the wood smells like.
Winton

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
i have a pipe made out of black walnut. smoked it i few times and it taste like bear dung. i have never tasted bear dung but if i would taste it i bet it taste like that pipe.lol i can not smoke that nasty thing and it get`s red hot.

scruffwhor

Lurker
Feb 1, 2011
hanover park, IL
I've just recently bought a rosewood pipe, same wood that is used to make a lot of guit fretboards, but have not smoked it yet. The grain, color , and stain looks awesome.
Has anyone smoked a rosewood pipe before???
What are your thoughts?
Also, why would the wood from a nut bearing tree be so different than that of a fruit bering tree???

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Dave,
I agree that they are probably talking about Walnut color, not wood. That said, I have had fine success making pipes out of Walnut. I posted pictures here a few weeks ago: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/black-walnut-pipes#post-97476
In my experience, they do add a flavor in the beginning (which I feel is an improvement to most tobaccos). They do not smoke any hotter than briar. They are a bit more fragile than briar, but the wood may be as close as your backyard. In my opinion, it is a great wood for learning to carve a pipe. And I have not noticed that smoking them has caused me any ill ephects . . . aphecks . . .er, problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.