Tags:   

Walnut wood pipes

(16 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by davesussex
  • Latest reply from kennerth
  1. davesussex

davesussex

Login to Send PM

Theres a tobacanist where my girlfreind lives which I go to sometimes and they seem to have a lot of pipes in the shop made from walnut. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with walnut as a pipe material?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried one once. It smoked a bit on the hot side and had a definite effect on the taste of the tobacco.

Mason

And though it is much to be a nobleman, it is more to be a gentleman. - Anthony Trollope
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

It would surprise me to see "a lot of" pipes made of walnut wood, since it seems to be considered
    an alternative material; and there are more suitable substitutes for briar. Is it possible that
    the word walnut refers to the briar's color stain? I think Carey pipes have a series called Walnut,
    but I don't think it refers to the wood.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. morlader

morlader

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Craftsman Walnut.It is actualy a briar and the "walnut" refers to the dark colour.Nice grain and smokes great.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Cortez, it very well might be a reference to the color of the stain! I picture of one of the pipes would help us out to say for certain!

Mason jars and bale top jars, mason jars and bale top jars.... that is all!

"There’s truth in the statement that pipe tobacco will never be any less expensive than it is today, so think of your cellar as a cost averaged investment" - G.L. Pease
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. maduroman

maduroman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

considering how alot of the nut trees can cause adverse reaction to the people working the wood, i would be shocked to see any pipe made of walnut.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

considering how alot of the nut trees can cause adverse reaction to the people working the wood, i would be shocked to see any pipe made of walnut.

They are out there. I have seen them made of all sorts of hardwoods. As I mentioned, I tried one once that was made of walnut, and I really can't recommend them.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. davesussex

davesussex

Login to Send PM

They are all priced between £10 - £20 (posibly to cheap to be briar?) They have no makers mark are just stamped with walnut, they seem to have alot of alternative materials in the shop, I bought a Mr Brog pear wood pipe from them last year, I find it a really good smoke and one of my favorite pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. expatpipe

Briar Bully

Login to Send PM

I assume you could still build up a cake on a walnut pipe. Am I wrong? Might depend on your smoking style/tobacco as well. If your pear wood works good for you, I wonder what the difference is between the two woods. The first cherry wood pipes were made of cherry wood after all. Now I think it means the shape of pipe more than the wood of the pipe. They sound reasonably cheap enough and after you build a cake it should probably cool it down and nuetralise any taste variations. I have a book in front of me now showing a pipe, pouch and a dunhill lighter that was sent to troops in WWII. The pipe is made of hickory as briar was hard to get ahold of. Those pipes must have smoked hotter than hel..

There is a light that never goes out.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have made a couple of walnut. Once broken in they were OK . Just OK not great for sure.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the smell of walnut when I work with it. I am not sure I want it to affect the tobacco. I have plenty of fruit woods like apple, cherry, pear, etc so I don't need to use nut wood. Obviously briar is better, but I already own lots of dry wood.

Anyone want me to make a pipe for you out of "piss elm"? For a minor fee and shipping, I will send you the pipe and you can report how it smokes! Guess what the wood smells like.

Winton

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. buckeye

buckeye

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i have a pipe made out of black walnut. smoked it i few times and it taste like bear dung. i have never tasted bear dung but if i would taste it i bet it taste like that pipe.lol i can not smoke that nasty thing and it get`s red hot.

smokin my homemade rustic pipe. don`t get any better.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. scruffwhor

scruffwhor

Login to Send PM

I've just recently bought a rosewood pipe, same wood that is used to make a lot of guit fretboards, but have not smoked it yet. The grain, color , and stain looks awesome.

Has anyone smoked a rosewood pipe before???

What are your thoughts?

Also, why would the wood from a nut bearing tree be so different than that of a fruit bering tree???

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

There is a gent on SF that makes and sells a lot of Walnut pipes, and Rhe responses I have read were all good. I shall soon find out, I just sent unclearthur a big chunk of Walnut that has been sitting on a shelf on my closet for close to ten years. We have struck a deal and he is going to make me a Cherrywood shape pipe. Now I have smoked Ropp Cherrywood pipes off and on for thirty years, they smoke ok and make great yard pipes. I have been told that once you get a cake built up, Walnut pipes smoke good if your not to hard on them. I will report back when I get mine.
    See Walnut pipes for sale here

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

I have a walnut pipe and it smokes alright it does get a bit hot but other then that its ok.

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
    (Robert Kennedy)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. kennerth

kennerth

Login to Send PM

Dave,

I agree that they are probably talking about Walnut color, not wood. That said, I have had fine success making pipes out of Walnut. I posted pictures here a few weeks ago: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/black-walnut-pipes#post-97476

In my experience, they do add a flavor in the beginning (which I feel is an improvement to most tobaccos). They do not smoke any hotter than briar. They are a bit more fragile than briar, but the wood may be as close as your backyard. In my opinion, it is a great wood for learning to carve a pipe. And I have not noticed that smoking them has caused me any ill ephects . . . aphecks . . .er, problems.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lucky695, agnosticpipe, texmexpipe, dermotfahy, dread, bulldogbriar89, phil67, weezell, frozenchurchwarden, cosmicfolklore, warren, vabriar