PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
This article was written last year but it still is astonishing to me to see how much the CEO of Walmart is paid. In short, he is paid what the average Walmart worker makes in a year, roughly $13k, as his hourly wage. I bet if he was a pipe smoker he would have some damn good pipes and tobacco haha.
Article Is Here

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, I'll be among the first to contend that the CEO's salary is not only excessive, but obscene.

But the company certainly must value his services quite highly; and that company is, by and large,

all the thousands of employees who owe their continued employment to that CEO. You get what you pay for,

and the company apparently doesn't place too much trust in a lower caliber CEO who couldn't command

that kind of salary. BTW, that video clip is one of my favorites!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Its what makes America great. WalMart employs 2.1 million people world-wide. That's a huge responsibility. I'm tired of people complaining about the salaries of CEO's of companies in which they have no investment.

Do they all earn or deserve the huge compensation packages they receive? Highly debateable. Disatisfied? Blame the Board of Directors.

The fact is that everybody has a shot at the top spot. Just a matter of selling yourself and your soul.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
And the best part about making that much money is you can pay someone else to do your job for you and spend 11 1/2 months out of the year on vacation.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, in my experience with CEO's they usually work 7 days a week and drive their direct reports crazy with phone calls every day. OK, some goof off occassionally but the majority are workaholics. One does not get to that position by being a playboy; as a rule.

In today's business environment it is 24/7 to make it to the top in most corporations. It is not for everyone. It certainy was not for me.

I was 4 postions down from the CEO and afoer 3 years I had enough. Happily retired and spending time on this forum. I'm in a much better place.

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
The CEO of the company I work for is very well respected and very well paid....but he has made some great decisions in the past that have put us where we are as a company.

sirgeorge

Lurker
Apr 20, 2011
The world is facing a hunger crisis unlike anything it has seen in more than 50 years.
925 million people are hungry.
Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That's one child every five seconds.
You're tired of people complaining? It makes me sick more people aren't complaining!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
Well, how much is too much money?
And whom would you want to be empowered to make that decision?

sirgeorge

Lurker
Apr 20, 2011
How much is too much?
How about when someone has more than they can ever spend in their lifetime, while a child dies every five seconds from starvation? Isn't that enough?
The problem isn't that there aren't enough laws or people to police things like this, the problem is greed, ignorance and acceptance.
How about change the way behaviour like this is viewed?
Wealth of this magnitude while so many others are suffering from poverty should be viewed as disgusting behaviour. I'm standing up and saying so. If you feel the same, pass it on. Empower everyone!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I cant say much that Cortez hasn't already.

Personally, I think its pretty outrageous. But, really, who am I to complain?

I certainly wouldn't tell him he isn't allowed to make that much money.

And while I applaud all the humanitarian hopes, I'm not sure how the two are connected.

Should the CEO of WalMart quit his job and go to work for UNICEF, or spend his money on 1,000,000 MRE's three times a day?

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
This post was too political

This post was not politic.

Its better nobody reads it (or forgets it if they did)
Abbreviated version:
I don't think an honorable man would accept more than a certain amount per year. Not sure exactly the limit, but an honorable man would know what his work was really worth.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Cant say what in the world I would use this kind of cash for, but I certainly would NOT refuse it. "We' complain about this sort of pay because we don't make this sort of pay! Perhaps the NFL, MLB players make too much? Who is to say, except the owners of the teams. Obviously Wal-Mart pays this guy to keep the Co. in the BILLIONS each year.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Those owners make WAY too much money. Who NEEDS to be a billionare? I could see having maybe twenty million or so. That's enough to live an entire life time comfortably and be able to pay for children and grandchildren's college. But needing billions of dollars that sits around and does absolutely nothing but collect dust? Seriously? Imagine how much improved our school system would be or our community service workers like firefighters and police officers or how much more efficent our public transit system would be if they made an earning cap for these CEOs and were made to give back to the government for those things anything earned over even ten million a year. Who seriously needs to make more than ten million a year to live? I'm not talking about company earnings I'm talking about personal earnings that go directly into the CEOs personal bank accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.