PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I'll call it a refresh rather than a restoration. My work generally makes them look more like a well cared for used pipe. I can't quite get the new look others manage on this site. Nonetheless the bite was pretty rough on this and it needed some work. I like the pipe. Nice briar, great color, and a classy looking smoke.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Stosho:
I remember your OP from several weeks ago. (Two bucks a pipe kills.) At the time I thought the Wally Frank would probably be your best burner.
You cleaned it up just fine. Nice work, pal.
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I go by your philosophy or refresh rather than restore as well. I want to get my pipes as clean as possible and repair moderate or major damage but I'm not bothered by minor dings or a wisp of charring on the rim.
Did you buff with carnauba wax on that pipe or do you prefer to not use that?

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Refresh is a nice way to put it. I sort of clean mine up as I smoke them and just generally fiddle about with them.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments.
I used a product called George's Club House Wax. It is a woodworkers product that is safe for wooden products that are used for food. I hand buff it on, I may try using the dremel.
My challenge is always the rim. If I go down to bare wood I can't always match the stain. I did not want to take the whole pipe down to bare wood because it was in solid shape.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
When I first started refurbishing my own pipes I tried using a Dremel with a small polishing wheel. It was very difficult to get an even coat of wax with such a small wheel. So I think you are better off hand polishing.
You might try picking up a stick of carnauba wax at Amazon.com and try that sometime. I haven't found anything yet that works as well as that.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
After a couple of days of drying out I had my inaugural smoke of the Frank toning. It may be my new favorite. It smoke exceptionally cool and perhaps I am romanticizing the experience but I seemed to get more flavor from the smoke than I have from my others. I will admit that the unlabeled tobacco has also been aging for some time. In any event... I am pleased.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I don't think you're romanticizing the experience at all, Stosho.
WF bought overruns and seconds from some of the best pipe making companies in existence at such a price point they were affordable to damned near everybody. Maybe they weren't great pipes but they always delivered the goods.
It's also very possible you've obtained a pipe that might be better than their crib mates. I've got a Dr. Grabow coupon pipe, a heavily carved and stained Berwyck that maybe should've been an El Dorado, which smokes every bit as well as my higher priced Dunhill, Comoy's, Sasieni's, GBD's, Nordings, etc.
Enjoy the smoke.
Fnord

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I like your explanation. Could you, or otheres, tell me more? What is it about a "second" that might be significantly different from a first? Is there anything beyond cosmetic differences? How might a higher quality briar smoke differently than a more common briar? Has anyone ever seen the criteria for differentiating between choice pipes and seconds? That information would be useful for collectors.
Thanks for your thoughts.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Keen looking pipe, I like the slender look.

I saw a site somewhere about temps of smoke thru a pipe and it was proven that Canadians provide a cooler smoke. In my homemade pipes I found Bamboo really sucks the moisture out well too, he longer the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.