PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Time to show off again, but with a story and inquiries: I first came across this amazing (I think) pipe about a month ago. But my pipe tastes are rather conservative; classic British style billiards for the most part. The Peterson Dracula pipes were probably the most radical styles I own. Then a member suggested that I look at Nording's work. Well, of course I was amazed, but couldn't see myself with these unusual pipes. Then later, I came across this pipe and struck instantly by PAD. I don't know why--it was unlike anything I had owned before in style, finish, and certainly shape. But I'm not an impulse buyer, so despite a very reasonable price, I held off. When I went back to SP a day later, it was gone, sold!

Fast forward a month: while asking questions about another pipe, I casually mentioned the Nording that slipped by me. The memory of the pipe had hung on, even though, as a freehand, I couldn't expect to see this pipe again. Well, the excellent gentleman at SP asked me questions, details about what I remembered, and he said, Wait a minute; I think we have something in back inventory. He sent me the link: sure enough, it was the black pipe with the ribbon-like white streak wrapped around the stem. It was like being thunderstruck: I immediately purchased the pipe you see before you. Despite its radical nature, the memory of this pipe hung on, and incredibly I was given a second chance to buy it. These days, I'm not sure I really believe in coincidences anymore, and for this pipe that had cast a spell over me to reappear was just too much to ignore. So I purchased it, it's in my hands now, and I'm an extremely happy man today.

It's a giant of a pipe, something like 2 1/2 ounces, with a gorgeous finish (I think the black finish with that white ribbon on the stem was one of the things that gripped me), but here's the link with the specs: http://www.smokingpipes.com/sneakpeek.cfm?product_ID=130629

To anyone who knows about freehands, or can offer information about this kind of pipe and Nording in particular, please feel free to share your information, bearing in mind that I don't know anything about freehands, or how this pipe fits into pipeology. Thanks for reading all this, I greatly appreciate it.

img_0589-600x431.jpg

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I love Nordings! You got yourself a great pipe. I'm not much for the crazy styles, but it'll be a great smoker. So the bottom line is if you like it that's all there is. Take care.

Jan 8, 2013
I have two Nordings, my first (and one of my first pipes) is a Nording signature freehand that I absolutely love. My second (which is the latest pipe I've purchased) is a Nording Royal Flush Ace that I also absolutely love :) I love the look of freehand pipes and Nordings really tend to speak to me. I will buy more, especially another freehand, and would like to get my hands on another Royal Flush as well. They're beautiful pipes. I'm really liking the look of that one you've got. I'm pretty sure I eyed that one a couple times, but was unable to afford to pull the trigger on it at the time. Nording freehands have a pretty deep bowl (the pipes are huge! Imagine what one of the freehand giants is like 8O ), so prepare yourself for a nice long smoke.
Enjoy the heck out that pipe :) I know I would.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nording has been around forever. His pipes are excellent and come in a wide range of styles and price points. I have several Nordings in my collection and wouldn't part with any of them. He doesn't enjoy the cult status of Preben Holm, or any of the more celebrated Danish makers, perhaps because he's produced mass market lines of pipes, but the quality of his higher grades is really superb.

Congrats on a very cool pipe! Here's wishing you an equally cool smoke.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you. I'm treating this pipe as a special event: I'm waiting until midnight, when everything is dark and quiet. Then I will load up my pipe with a new tobacco I just tried today (thanks, Roth), Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture, and have the first of what I'm sure will be the first of many long smokes with my black Nording.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
A couple years ago before I got into pipes, I saw a Nording freehand pipe at the local B&M and thought it was an amazing pipe. Each time I returned to the B&M shop I would go look at it. Having not been a pipe smoker yet I didn't want to drop the $150 on it as a first pipe and as I initially got into pipes I felt it was still to much money for a novice such as myself. Eventually that pipe sold, and other Nording free hands have landed on the shelf. Eventually I'll find a free hand similar to that one that originally caught my eye. I'll know it when I see it.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Metal, I'm sure that special Nording will come to you. It will be like a thunderbolt, believe me, when you encounter it.

I had my first real smoke with my new black Nording this morning, the massive bowl loaded with EMP. It smoked like the proverbial dream. It was the experience of consuming a work of art, meditating on the art of the pipe itself while enjoying the smoke. I think this is what is special about our hobby; having a work of art in your hand and being able to partake of its essence by smoking. I'm going to treat this pipe special: after break in, only one bowl a day or so, giving adequate time to rest, lighting it with matches so I don't damage the rim. I consider myself lucky to be able to own such a pipe, and it will hold a special niche in my modest pipe collection for many years to come.

waywardverve

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Man I'm in love with nordings... As a noob to pipe smoking I hope to own one as my first nice briar. So far I'm only smoking a Mr. Brog and my own handmades...
The freehand shape is IMHO the most beautiful shape in a pipe and they look so comfortable!

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
That is a beautiful pipe. Your story reminds me when my kids were watching the Harry Potter movies and the scene where Harry is getting his wand. The shop keep says to him; "The wizard doesn't choose the wand.The wand chooses the wizard." Seems like you are in a similar situation. I hope it smokes as good as it looks. Nice acquisition!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You know, I don't think you are far wrong. As for smoking, I only smoke it once at night, lit with a single match--that's all it needs--and smoke in bliss for the next half-hour. That's how long it takes to get through a bowl of this giant. It is an awesome smoke (I used the word in the original way), huge and nearly transcendental, almost a religious experience. This pipe and I will be spending many, many, evenings together.

Jan 8, 2013
Only half an hour? Slow down that puffin Sparrowhawk... unless your packing a half bowl you should get 45 minutes to an hour easy in that monster. :wink:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Sparrowhawk:
That big Nording should provide you with many years of cool smoking. I'm happy for you, pal.
Here's a little background, courtesy of Pipedia:
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Nording
Nording comes over several times a year to shake hands at various pipe shops moving his product. If you ever get the chance to meet him please do. He's smart as hell, loves pipes and tobaccos, knows everybody in the smoking world and has a wonderful sense of humor.
I have one of his lower grades and it's a swell smoker - certainly one of my top five burners.
I know yours will smoke as well as mine.
Fnord

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you. This Nording giant is a great smoker; when I smoke it, I almost feel like I'm going into battle, the pipe is so awesome in shape and size, and the smoke is unbeatable. Every pipe has its own personality, and this is no less so with the Nording. And there is so much to consider when smoking this pipe: its ebony finish, the ribbon of white wrapped around the tip (actually rings of white, the illusion of a ribbon), the flowered paneling, and a bonus: if you look up the original pic at PS--http://www.smokingpipes.com/sneakpeek.cfm?product_ID=130629 --you'll see what seems like cracks in the forward rim, not entirely finished, as if the pipe were carved out of broken rock, suggesting great age. It makes me think of some castle turret struck by a catapult projectile at the top of some medieval structure. And the stem itself reminds me of chess, and the game of war it represents. No wonder smoking this pipe is like a battle.

Anthony suggested looking at the Nording Royal Flush series, and sure enough, I'm hypnotized by the Jack pipe with its heavy rustification. Will this PAD never end?

Jan 8, 2013
:( No Sparrowhawk... the PAD will never end. Once it has sunken its claws into you, there is no escape. You can fight it. Even try to deny its existence. But it is a beast; a cunning, vicious, angry, and brutal beast. It will let you think you are safe, and then it will strike like a viper... out of the shadows... sinking its teeth and claws into you for the kill...
8O
Sorry, haven't had enough coffee today and haven't smoked a pipe yet. I won't be regular until I do this and look at pipes for a while online :)

Status
Not open for further replies.