PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with their stem deoxidation kit? I just got those five boswells and they need some work, I just ordered the kit and was curious if anyone else has tried it

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Works well for me although it seems once the oxidation process has started it keeps happening.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I spent many hours trying to use the kit to no avail.

Eventually I started making a paste from Barkeeper's Friend. That worked much better. And cheaper.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
It works, but it's not "magic"; you need to be patient, follow the directions on the website, be a little more patient, keep going, put it down and go outside for a smoke before you break the damn pipe, relax, come back and try again, be a little more patient, keep at it, just a little bit more......

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
I use it. It works but requires patience and elbow grease. I tried it on an old estate pipe that had a bit that looked like it was covered with yellow mustard and eventually it became black and shiny.
If the stem is really badly yellowed use some very very fine emery cloth or sandpaper such as used by car painters to break the surface of the oxidation.
The yellowing of a stem is due to oxidation and this can be stopped, or at least dramatically slowed down by coating the stem with wax. Carnauba wax is best and is included with the kit from walkers.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Quick question... so is the greenish discoloration on my stems oxidation? And if so, it can just be polished/buffed/rubbed out with some emery cloth or whatnot?

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
yes it is basically a sulphur compound and can be buffed out. Then coat with wax to slow down

further oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.