Tags:   

Walgreens Tobacco

(33 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by melikepipealot
  • Latest reply from marmal4de
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

melikepipealot

Login to Send PM

I'm very new to pipe smoking and I was just wondering if the Walgreen's aromatic tobaccos are any good, and if not, what a good starter tobacco is that smells and tastes good. Mildness is not an issue.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. ghost45

ghost45

Login to Send PM

Stay away from Walgreen's tobaccos.
    But a good tobacco to start with is Prince Albert, ( I think every one on this forum will tell you to start with PA ) it is very mild, lights very easy, packs nice, and has a chocolaty taste to it. O and I can't forget Tobacco Reviews let this site be your bible to pipe tobacco!

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

melikepipealot

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try the burly light Ive paid more for less .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

A good aromatic is Captain Black, White Pouch... Smoke it slow, It might bite and let it dry some...

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Sir Melikepipealot,
    Phil is right the Captain Black White is a good starter tobacco.
    If you are looking for an aromatic, you might give Paladin Black Cherry a try.
    Here it's about half the cost of Captain Black.
    Goes to show you that cost isn't everything when choosing your pipe tobacco.

Pleasant Puffing

PS Check the Grocery Stores in your area. They are (around here anyway) less expensive than the Drug Stores. You might join the Drug Store group. We'd love to have you.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. sapo59

sapo59

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree, one of the first tobaccos I ever bought was from walgreens. I got the black and burley. It bit me every time I tried to smoke it. I would start with captain black white and Prince Albert. I know the walgreens seems like a good deal but PLEASE spend your money elsewhere. We would love to have you in the drugstore tobacco group.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

melikepipealot

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the advice, looks like I won't be getting Walgreens Tobacco then.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

vkimp

Login to Send PM

Gee I gess it takes all kinds! I like there peach. My Wife dosnt give me any S#^t when I smoke it around her. And beleve me that can mean a lot sometimes. LOL

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't fail to check out the great online sellers like pipesandcigars.com smoking pipes.com and 4 Noggins just to name three. I found it just as economical to buy decent tobacco from them as buying the nasty stuff in plastic bags .

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. dudleydipstick

dudleydipstick

Login to Send PM

Don't fail to check out the great online sellers like pipesandcigars.com smoking pipes.com and 4 Noggins just to name three. I found it just as economical to buy decent tobacco from them as buying the nasty stuff in plastic bags .

Good advice. One thing I'll add is that if you're looking for bulks, be sure to cross check what the prices are with Mars Cigars.

Mars Cigars

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I knew I forgot someone! Thanks Dudley.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. dillydallydan

dillydallydan

Login to Send PM

You know, that Tobacco Reviews is very informative. At least I thought so until I looked up all my favorite tobaccos to discover they sucked. Taste is subjective. I've never tried any Walgreen's tobaccos, but obviously some people must enjoy them.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here Here Dudley: "You know, that Tobacco Reviews is very informative. At least I thought so until I looked up all my favorite tobaccos to discover they sucked. Taste is subjective."

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I check the reviews for folks with similar tastes to mine and then use the search function to read what they post.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe that the Wallgreens , CVS , or what have you .They probably sell more pipe tobacco and pipes than all the other so called pipe stores combined . Dr Grabow from coast to coast and if the tobacco was not selling they would not carry it . Makes one wonder if PA is the number one pipe blend in the nation . I smoke some expensive blends ,why because I can . That being said Iam still happy with a 3.96 pack of drug store baccy .

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. dudleydipstick

dudleydipstick

Login to Send PM

Here Here Dudley: "You know, that Tobacco Reviews is very informative. At least I thought so until I looked up all my favorite tobaccos to discover they sucked. Taste is subjective."

Do you remember some past skepticism on my part?

Some of the reviews are outrageous and frou-frou. When I go there looking for information, the ones I pay attention to are the ones with the highest star rating. If they don't mince words too much, I'll put value in their review. Then it's on to the low ratings. If the review is focused on the tobacco instead of the author's refined palette, I'll tend to trust that also.

If you want to read the most pretentious and effete reviews I know of, you can check this out:

Absinthe Reviews

A bunch of hothouse orchids.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. dillydallydan

dillydallydan

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the backup Phil.

- Dudley

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Again, this goes back to several different topics, one is snobbery... I am not a snob, so therefore if you like it smoke it...

If you can afford expensive tobacco, go for it, if not, smoke what you like that’s under $5.00 a pouch...

I take recommendations’ from people, however... I am cautious... And I expect the same if I give a recommendation...

I would rather give someone a “pinch” to try, rather them go out and buy a large amount that they don’t care for... It’s hard on the check book...

Until I came here, my “S*#T” tobacco went into the garbage or the garden... I had no one to share with.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Matt is good stuff ,love the avatars those guys use .

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. oppie

oppie

Login to Send PM

My only negative on Walgreen tobacco is that they don't carry much of a nicotine hit. If you're not looking for that than I think they are fine to start off with. IMO

NASCAR...Everything else is just a game.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I as doing some research and came across the reviews for SP Black Cavendish... All the reviews for it, 26, all but a hand full were 3+ stars... http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?tid=1239&offset=20#theReviews

I do like Black Cavendish tobaccos... OK, I was really looking for a cheap daily smoke... $14.25 at JR Cigar... For a first time "piper" this would be a good blend...

I'm smoking "Smoker's Friendly" BC and it is very mild all the way around...

Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish
    Brand: Smoker's Pride
    Blender: Lane Limited
    Tin Description: Mild Black Cavendish pipe smoking tobacco.
    Country of Origin: USA
    Curing Group: Air Cured
    Cut: Broken Flake
    Packaging: 12 oz bulk

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried that some years back. It was a fairly decent cheap smoke.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

For an everyday smoke, it's not over whelming...

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For economy I usually buy Stokkebye tobaccos. They are relatively inexpensive and very good quality. It all comes down to what a fella can afford and what tastes good to them I think. It is fun to splurge on occasion and try the super expensive blends though!

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. sapo59

sapo59

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't really want to run it in to the ground, I just got bit by it every smoke, I find I like PA a lot better for a cheap go to brand. Until I find something as cheap and satisfying I'll stick with the Prince. I don't let what anyone says keep me from trying a tobacco that catches my eye. I'll try to smoke just about anything, Once. After all I'm the administrator of the "drugstore" tobacco group. If you want to try it, go to walgreens and pick some up. Let us know what you think about it. You do get a lot of tobacco for around ten bucks...

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

melikepipealot

Login to Send PM

I have officially decided that I'm going to get some PA and a cob at my next visit to the tobacconist in the next town over, thanks all for the feedback.

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

pappapuffalot

Login to Send PM

I have 2 bags of walgreens tobacco I bought 2 years ago and wonder what they use to keep it moist. The 2 I have are still as moist as the day I bought them even though they have been open overnight many times. I hope they dont use antifreeze to keep the leaf moist!

No, Walgreens tobaccos don't have much of a nicotine hit, but another point is that the tobacco doesn't age either.

Presently I am looking for some Latakia to blend with it so maybe I can at least smoke what is left.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. buckeye

buckeye

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i started with captain black. it bites so bad i was going to stop smoking. i smoked it for about a month.

smokin my homemade rustic pipe. don`t get any better.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't forget to mention the oils? That wallgreens/indian reservation leaves it's dripping evedince on your walls,dashboard, and talk about fowling a computer.......WOW !!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldjazzlover

Login to Send PM

I believe most of the walgreens blends are mostly burley, it doesn't age much anyway. I've got some of their Blenders Gold rich vanilla, it seems to mix pretty well with just about anything. So for the price it can be used to moisten a dry tobacco or just have on hand to help to keep you from running oout before a order arrives or going to the smoke shop.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. chero

chero

Login to Send PM

vkimp,i'm with you on the s##t

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started with MacB CHerry Choice, and still occasionally enjoy it to this day. Off topic I know but the OP made me nostalgic.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bubblehead33, daimyo, jessicac, metalheadycigarguy, porshcigar, newbroom