Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Waking Up Tobacco

(14 posts)
  1. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find that it takes a week or two after I pop a tin before the flavors wake up. Sometimes longer. Esp. with virginias. I haven't seen any references to this on forums, but I am pretty sure it's not just in my head. So these days I pop a tin and let it rest and dry for at least a week before I fire it up. Anyone else do this?

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  2. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With most blends, I find the same thing. Takes anywhere from a few days to even a few months to stabilize, air out or whatever it does to smoke best.

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I've definitely noticed this with some blends. I went out and bought an 8 oz tin of Quiet Nights because of the reviews. Fresh out of the tin was a little underwhelming, but after it sat for a while it was heavenly.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve said this before but I have to restate it. I hate when I open a tin and it’s wonderful and then in three weeks it sucks. Not a common occurrence, but it does happen.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'll do this with McClelland blends, popping the top for a minute or two each day for a couple of weeks to let the vinegar smell evaporate, which allows the prime Virginia to shine.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once I open a tin I air it out as a part of reducing moisture content. This usually takes 15-50 hours of "airing" as it's done slowly.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, like a cigar, if you warm it before smoking, it seems to wake the juices up some. I noticed that after nuking a bowl full for just 8 seconds, that the flavors were more pronounced, same with heating it up on a coffee cup warmer. I think cigars also like to be warmed up some before smoking.

But yeh, this may be why I find the most enjoyment from my tobacco by opening a tin a week before I will need it in my rotation, and drying the whole tin by leaving it open. When I do get to it, it is always more flavorful.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, like a cigar, if you warm it before smoking, it seems to wake the juices up some.

Ah yes.................... the Bill Clinton method!..............

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OH, my! Beef in for the win!

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

beef, too funny.

When I first opened a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired I did not enjoy the first smoke. I put the tin away for around 6-8 months, smoked it again and fell in love. Nowadays I am smoking 98% aged tobacco and when I open a tin it smokes great right off the bat.

Harris
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm noticing this to be very true with Virginia forward blends, especially with those of darker matured blends, with and without perique.St Bruno, Condors, and all of the Rattray's with perique seem to improve after spending a week or two in jars.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. pipeanddrum

pipeanddrum

Login to Send PM

This is an interesting and informative thread. Whenever I open a new tin I make it a habit of immediately transferring the contents to a mason jar, not really giving the tobacco time to 'breathe' or 'air out'. I typically dry out my tobacco, especially flakes, before filling my bowl by letting the it sit out for 20 minutes or so.

Workman, when you say 'pop a tin and let it rest and dry for at least a week' - does this mean you open the tin and leave it open?

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to jar immediately, but I have found that leaving it in the tin, opening and closing it to smoke, and jarring it only after it tastes amazing is better for me. It is definitely the drying of the tobacco in my mind that makes it better. YMMV.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I open the the tin and leave it with the lid off. I like my tobacco dry and in the climate where I live it never gets too dry. When I consider it dry enough, I'll put the lid back on. I recently did this with a tin of FVF and it took about two weeks for it to dry. Even then the first bowl was underwhelming. I had another today, and it was wonderful. I think it's been a month since I popped it.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mawnansmiff, cosmicfolklore, jrbjr, adforbes, ray47, cossackjack, bnichols23, chasingembers, dukdalf