PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I find that it takes a week or two after I pop a tin before the flavors wake up. Sometimes longer. Esp. with virginias. I haven't seen any references to this on forums, but I am pretty sure it's not just in my head. So these days I pop a tin and let it rest and dry for at least a week before I fire it up. Anyone else do this?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
With most blends, I find the same thing. Takes anywhere from a few days to even a few months to stabilize, air out or whatever it does to smoke best.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I've definitely noticed this with some blends. I went out and bought an 8 oz tin of Quiet Nights because of the reviews. Fresh out of the tin was a little underwhelming, but after it sat for a while it was heavenly.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I’ve said this before but I have to restate it. I hate when I open a tin and it’s wonderful and then in three weeks it sucks. Not a common occurrence, but it does happen.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once I open a tin I air it out as a part of reducing moisture content. This usually takes 15-50 hours of "airing" as it's done slowly.

Also, like a cigar, if you warm it before smoking, it seems to wake the juices up some. I noticed that after nuking a bowl full for just 8 seconds, that the flavors were more pronounced, same with heating it up on a coffee cup warmer. I think cigars also like to be warmed up some before smoking.
But yeh, this may be why I find the most enjoyment from my tobacco by opening a tin a week before I will need it in my rotation, and drying the whole tin by leaving it open. When I do get to it, it is always more flavorful.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
beef, too funny.
When I first opened a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired I did not enjoy the first smoke. I put the tin away for around 6-8 months, smoked it again and fell in love. Nowadays I am smoking 98% aged tobacco and when I open a tin it smokes great right off the bat.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm noticing this to be very true with Virginia forward blends, especially with those of darker matured blends, with and without perique.St Bruno, Condors, and all of the Rattray's with perique seem to improve after spending a week or two in jars.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
This is an interesting and informative thread. Whenever I open a new tin I make it a habit of immediately transferring the contents to a mason jar, not really giving the tobacco time to 'breathe' or 'air out'. I typically dry out my tobacco, especially flakes, before filling my bowl by letting the it sit out for 20 minutes or so.
Workman, when you say 'pop a tin and let it rest and dry for at least a week' - does this mean you open the tin and leave it open?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I used to jar immediately, but I have found that leaving it in the tin, opening and closing it to smoke, and jarring it only after it tastes amazing is better for me. It is definitely the drying of the tobacco in my mind that makes it better. YMMV.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I open the the tin and leave it with the lid off. I like my tobacco dry and in the climate where I live it never gets too dry. When I consider it dry enough, I'll put the lid back on. I recently did this with a tin of FVF and it took about two weeks for it to dry. Even then the first bowl was underwhelming. I had another today, and it was wonderful. I think it's been a month since I popped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.