PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
We sometimes tend to ignore the smaller independent operations that sell pipes and related items at places like Etsy. By pure dumb luck, I came across this beauty:

img_1220-600x450.jpg
img_1222-600x321.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
To continue the above :It was a Wade Davis pipe, very possibly made by the esteemed Preben Holm himself, in the seventies. I had never seen this kind of asymmetrically carved pipe before, but it was just what I needed, with an attractive body, and a huge crater of a chamber, perfect for the long smoke.

The nice people offering this pipe for a very reasonable price, Tobacco Treasures, were kind enough to take the pipe off the site until I could afford to buy it (there were two watchers with their eyes on it), and after extorting some relatives, got the modest amount paid. The Sassy Pipe Lady sent the pipe with several samples of tobacco and some holiday treats. What a great lady! And the pipe is beautiful and remains one of my favorites.

So check out the pipe vendors at Etsy. You may find it worth your while.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That looks like a huge chunk of briar! Very nice...should make for a very long smoke.
Wade Davis? Top-notch “relief” grain.
I doubt it's the baseball player. It's probably Wade Davis anthropologist, ethnobotanist, author, and photographer:
Wade Davis: an Inuit elder and his shit knife
https://boingboing.net/2008/09/26/wade-davis-an-inuit.html

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh, yeah, the author of The Serpent and the Rainbow. Does he smoke a pipe?
I don't know...and I was just joking of course. But he does seem like the type.
But the consensus here seems to be that your pipe must actually be a Ben Wade.

Status
Not open for further replies.