PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I may be stirring the pot here,but as a fella on tv used to say away we go..I like Lucite stems better than Vulcanite because they give more color options,and they don't oxidize.I don't clench so the hardness isn't a factor to me.This is just my opinion and may not apply to anyone else..Now for another and the real reason I don't really care for Vulcanite.I can taste it.It's kinda like licking an old bowling ball..Yes I have licked a bowling ball..I said all of this to lead up to this question.Are there different qualities of Vulcanite? Do some pipes use a better qualitiy than others? If so how does one tell which pipes do?

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Some do use better vulcanite. The only reason I know this is I have several old Willards, and they have softer stems than most pipes. I have o idea how one would tell the difference by just looking at them, I can't. However I'm with you on lucite stems, I prefer them for the same reasons you stated and I do clench, but use bit protectors.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
There's a difference among my vulcanite stem pipes, especially my Peterson system. The Wellington ranks up there too. I clench and don't care for bit guards, so I usually prefer vulcanite, but I really like the acrylic stem on my Stanwell and don't find it at all uncomfortable to clench-I can definitely see more of these in my future!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I don't think I have a preference. I like both. But, with lucite there is no oxidation. I can clench both with no problem.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I much prefer vulcanite, it has a better feel in the mouth clenching or not clenching. I hate that hard plastic feel acrylic/lucite has and in the three years I've smoked pipes, I have never had one oxidize or taste off, if it happens, I know the fix for that. I don't use guards for clenching, if a stem gets worn out, I will just have a professional make me a new one, for me the feel is worth more than perfect looks.
I do however drool over those really cool lucite colored stems time to time, sticking with vulcanite has been a challenge :)

Dec 24, 2012
I will also add that there are different types of Lucite. Castello in my view has the most comfortable lucite stems I have tried. I wish every stem I had was made out of the Lucite that Castello uses. Then again, maybe it's just my imagination.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I prefer Vulcanite. Saying that I had one of the two pipes I had made with Vulcanite and the other is Lucite. DW made them so that they can be switched between the pipes in case I prefer one with the other.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Wow, can-o-worms officially opened! I have both in my collection, mostly vulcanite, but I'd say about 10 out of my 40 some odd pipes have lucite stems. I do think vulcanite is more comfortable for clenching, but then again I don't clench very hard, so it's not that big a deal to me. Lucite is very low maintenance, vulcanite is not. Vulcanite is relatively soft, lucite is not. Lucite is easily found in a variety of colors, vulcanite is mainly black or red with black streaks. I know, vulcanite can be found in many colors, but not as readily as lucite. There are many pros and cons to both, which is why I like a variety! To each his own!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will only buy pipes with the high quality german vulcanite. To my tastes the softness is very noticeable and the maintenance is minimal. The only pipe in my collection that has acrylic is a Castello which is ok.

Dec 24, 2012
When I get old and my teeth start to fall out like Roth and Harris, I have no doubt that I too will begin to appreciate vulcanite stems more than I do currently.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just got a custom pipe that has a vulcanite stem made from the SEM material. It's very nice and actually feels harder than my other vulcanite stems which I expected. I don't chomp on my stems so the materials used does not really matter to me ut I do find vulcanit more comfortable.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Is there a flavor difference - ??

Does one absorb flavor more than the other to taste the tobacco after the pipe has sat a day or two -
I have an old 50 year old pipe i didnt smoke but still tasted the original 1960 erinmore - now i smoke it with 3 oaks & taste the 3oaks even a week later.- & its a no name with leather encasing the bowl - great flavor.
thinking of ordering a boswell with both vulcanite & acrylic stems.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
thanks - the 3oaks with the latakia already eliminated the ghost although i am sorry now as i liked the original erinmore & todays i tried no comparison.
actually by flavor in the stem i meant it in a positive way - i once had a pipe back in the 60's ( stolen ) that the stem was awesome - no matter which tobacco i smoked the last time i could taste it on the stem - erinmore, 3nuns or london dock - never had one like it & none today that i have acquired.

the stem was vulcanite but pale green ( not from oxidation - very sweet ) flavor was totally awesome - not sure what vulcanite but none of the pipes i bought now are even close - no one knows what type of vulcanite it was that even when new was greenish in color.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When buying new pipes with vulcanite stems it would behoove you to ask the maker if they are using the highest quality German stuff, there is new stuff on the market that stinks and tastes like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.