PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Hi guys!
A loooong time ago I saw an ad for a stem polisher but can't seem to find it again. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been haivng trouble getting my stems jet black.
Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
https://m.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=24766
001-001-0009.jpg

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Once it's clean try a jewelers cloth. Cosmic turned me onto them and my stems are now worry free. One side is a very light abrasive and the other is wax.
Wipe it down after every smoke and Vulcanite becomes almost maintenance free.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After sanding with high grade wet paper, then Micromesh, I buff with White Diamond and use Meguiars Plastic polish (auto) on a wheel.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Depends on the stem, if it's just a pipe from my personal rotation that's getting wear I run a bic over the button to raise marks and burn off oxidation. Then maybe some 1000/2000 grit real quick and a dab of toothpaste. Eventually they all need redone since I clench but even just running a flame over vulcanite stems after a smoke seems to help maintain them until then.

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
I tried some of my daughter's Colgate whitening toothpaste (don't tell her - I only "borrowed" a little) and an old soft-bristle toothbrush to try and remove some oxidation. It took more scrubbing than I had time (and patience) for in order to get all the oxidation out, so I left off with just a little still showing and finished with a light coat of Olive Oil, soon wiped off. The HUGE surprise was how much smoother and shinier the bits were as a result of this polishing - better than the original finish! I'm very pleased, and will probably go back one day and scrub the rest of the sulpher out for a pure black color all around. Love that shine!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Instead of a toothbrush, try a lightly-moistened rag with a bit of the toothpaste smeared on it. It makes for pretty quick work.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Heard about a lot of things that are on the market or what people use. See forum and YouTube.

I myself will stick to vergin olive oil works for me!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How does the scrub side of a dish sponge seem to work? I have done so with ok results, but now will try it with toothpaste on it. And then mineral oil.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
When I work with wood, acrylic, polyester, etc, I use these progressive micro abrasive pads to work out blemishes and achieve a mirror finish. They work very well.
https://www.amazon.com/MICRO-MESH-SOFT-TOUCH-SANDING/dp/B000H6EC4C

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
John, all I've ever used are rags cut from discarded t-shirts, so I don't know how the dish sponge would work. If it's the type with scotch-brite on one side and sponge on the other, I would think it would be too aggressive for routine polishing, but might be good for a heavily oxidized stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.