PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Hi All,
As a somewhat longtime member I have used this site for numerous pipe related research topics for the care and feeding of my pipes. With that said and lots of trial and error I wanted to share some pipe stem wax recipes I have come up with that really work. I also included in it my cleaning preferences to round out the document.
I hope everyone finds them helpful. I have been testing the waxes for several months and they have made a real difference in the longevity of my vulcanite stems. I welcome comments, and hope others will at least post something to this thread to keep it on the board as long as possible for the benefit of others to see it.
Do to the length of the document I have uploaded it to my website in PDF format and have its link bellow. If a moderator prefers to have it posted another way or would like a word version of the document for inclusion in another way feel free to ask. I cant stress enough how much this has helped, and truly hope the rest of you find it so as well.
Vulcanite Stem Wax and Cleaning Tips
God Bless & Happy Thanksgiving Weekend

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A good buffing with blue or white diamond compound followed by a light coat of mineral oil does the trick for me.
As for buying Obsidian Oil I personally see that as a rip off, it is after all just mineral oil packaged in a tiny container with a huge price tag attached to it.
Just my tuppence worth :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but I would still try the finish wax over mineral oil."
By all means do so but it's one hell of a rigmarole your set up just for a pipe stem that can shine with carnauba wax and mineral oil.
Also you need to know your 'pours' over your 'pores' :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with you on Obsidian oil, a waste of money.
Cleaning vulcanite is always a compromise. Removing and then retarding oxidation. I do a final buff on all of my stems with Meguiars Plastic Polish, which removes microscratches (similar to Micromesh, but a liquid). While adding a higher final level of shine, I think it also helps in retarding oxidation. As with any polishing project, metal or plastic, auto paint, preparation is the key. Polishing is the removal of scratches, hazing, oxidation. Wax is a protection layer, so I can see where your recipe would have some success (if the stem was first prepared properly).
Removing scratches or oxidation on a paint finish or pipe stem does mean removal of some material, as your article mentions. This can slightly or greatly decrease the diameter of the stem (or depth of paint on a car). So, proceed carefully, there is a diminishing point of return!

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
"So, proceed carefully, there is a diminishing point of return!"
Words to live by when fighting oxidation.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'll second Al's recommendation of Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 car polish, it really works a treat assuming one has done the prep work correctly.
Not cheap at £10:00 for 7fl oz it does however last ages as so little is needed.
I personally don't see the point in homemade concoctions as all products required for the task already exist and have been proven to work. It's rather like re-inventing the wheel.
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
http://www.target.com/p/meguiar-s-scratch-x-2-0-fine-and-blemish-remover-7-oz/-/A-13794598?sid=1257S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Home+Improvement+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Home+Improvement&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9008037&gclid=CLK9mOuKydACFUhYDQodiVMKzA&gclsrc=aw.ds
Around $8 at our local auto parts. There are numerous auto wax manufacturers who make a similar product. That tube would last five restoration guys a lifetime. The tiniest of dabs is all that is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.