Vottis Pipe, It's a Strange One! Pic Heavy

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by Orley
  • Latest reply from anantaandroscoggin
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently bought a lot of 4 pipes, one of which is this pipe. Never heard of it before, but apparently it was made by Pat M. Vottis of Schenectady NY. I guess he made pipes from the 40s to the 70s. Not a lot of info about him.

This pipe though is a strange design to start with, but as I looked at it, it got even stranger. The bowl looks to have been formed from two pieces of briar, the smaller one attached to the bottom front of the bowl. I thought it might be a crack at first, but it's definitely a separate piece glued on the front of the bowl. Pretty good job of matching up the grain though. The chamber is moved way back to make it so the added front piece is not part of it. The inside of the "handle" is not stained or finished well and the finish on the whole pipe is rough with sanding scratches showing all over.

Hard to comprehend this pipes construction, but maybe I'll try to improve it's looks and make the added piece less noticeable. Sounds like fun, huh?

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Quite strange. A conversation piece for sure.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weird for sure.

Is it clear that the added piece at the bottom was from the original stock? Can you see inside the chamber and see the joining?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How very odd and thin walled. It really looks like he cut that piece off just to glue it back on... I live around there, I'll ask some of the pipe shops if they know if him. We have had a couple of, off, carvers come out of here.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

The chamber is moved way back to make it so the added front piece is not part of it.

Possibly his original design was to have a flat spot to set it down, like a poker. Also maybe it was to "front heavy" and it wouldn't stand on it's own so he added the piece. If you imagine the pipe standing on the flat part, where the added piece is, the finger hole would be top center. That would make it an interesting table sitter.

Just an idea. It is cool looking though.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Very interesting. I'm guessing that is not a patch. I bet it smokes great.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So some locals say Vottis pipes were shop pipes carved elsewhere. This research shows that he did carve pipes, his grandson recounts stories. Amusingly it turns out that I worked in the building where the original Albany pipe shop was located. Crazy. But here is some information for you.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m gonna agree with scloyd that it was originally intended to be a sitter that for some reason didn’t quite work out.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info guys, especially crashthegrey. I just wonder if my pipe was made by a different family member as it's so different from the one shown on rebornpipes. The stamping on mine seems more poorly done and is in block lettering rather than script. As I looked with a magnifier I see a partial M before Vottis so who knows.

Still it's very interesting to come across some obscure pipe history like this, so thanks again for the link.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

I visited the Vottis shop twice during the winter of 1973-74, when I was stationed at Captain of the Port, Albany NY.

I remember buying a vest-pocket pipe from Mr Vottis, as well as one of his "chain-smoker's pipes" (which should have had a plug for the chamber being dumped/reloaded so as not to affect the draw in the other chamber). But, best of all, I got a pound of his version of an English tobacco, which I cannot find anything remotely similar these days. Balkan Sasieni is maybe half-way there.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, jvnshr, shaneireland, philobeddoe, donjgiles, danish