PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In a recent thread started by sparrowhawk, he acquired an amazing Moretti volcano, and I got one by Don Carlos. I've seen several discussions about shape and tobacco combinations that maximize the smoking experience, but don't recollect any talks of what smokes good in a volcano. In my Bruce Weaver volcano, I all but exclusively have been smoking C&D's Black Frigate (an English), and in the Don Carlos, I have smoked two bowls of Peterson's St. Patrick's Day 2015 (an aromatic). Both yeild great results, and I was wandering what others enjoy in their volcanos.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I have to say that a bowl of Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream tastes pretty good in one of Marco's volcano's:
9256pAE.jpg

That being said the Bagpiper's dream tasted pretty good in my stanwell last night and my savenelli the night before. 8)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Beautiful volcano, bernie. Technically, chasing, I don't have the Moretti volcano yet; I have to wait until my monies are renewed before paying off that pipe. I've been undergoing severe PAD these past two weeks, what with two new pipes on layaway, a third on its way from Italy that I'm told I won't see until April 3. And after all my resolutions not to buy anything but the minimum at our pipe club's weekend road trip, I end up leaving with a new Dracula Peterson and two fine MacBaren tins. And here I thought this was going to be an inexpensive hobby. Thaks for the tip on Bagpiper's Dream, bernie, I will check it out when I get that magnificent volcano.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Only the cost of the tobacco compared to cigarettes make this inexpensive. Pipes to us are like jewelery to our lady friends. Expensive, and addictive.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I just picked up a Mario grandi briar sandblasted volcano freehand off the slebay for 59.00 I will be sure to add to this thread now that I own a volcano lol.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I have been smoking Hermit's Private Stock in my Design Berlin, sandblasted volcano and it smokes wonderfully. I tried some of this in a smallish Stanwell Rhodesian and it was an ok smoke, but nothing like how the flavor profile opened impressively with that volcano.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You guys are driving me nuts waiting for that Moretti volcano to arrive! Chasing, btw, you are absolutely right. I paid dearly for this volcano, but it is a pearl at great price.
dscn2025-600x450.jpg

Oh, here's the new Peterson from the weekend club road trip:

img_0805-150x96.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet almost any good blend or single-leaf will expand to full glory in a volcano. I might not go for Va and Va/Per as often, but any non-aromatic or quality aromatic with some tobacco forward should be great. Most of these have ample bowls to unfold the components of a complex blend or the nuance of a good single-leaf. I bet some of the mild English blends would really reveal themselves and lose their inhibitions in a volcano.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
mso489 you are very correct! Black Frigate, a rum/english blend explodes in my Weaver volcano, whereas it is just good in other pipes I have tried it in. So impressive was this blend/pipe combination that that is the only thing that I smoke in that pipe.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This is interesting. I never thought about the physical attributes of a tobacco leaf, i.e., being single leafed. I hope trying 5100 Red Cake will make for a good blend to start the volcano off. I think one of my Sutliff blends are flavored with rum, but perhaps I should try this Black Frigate. Who makes this, chasing? My regular other blend is Trout Stream, which I absolutely have to try in the volcano.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I wonder how many people dedicate a pipe to a single type of Tobacco. I realize that ghosting from your previous tobaccos changes the flavor a bit. I will say that my favorite time to smoke Lane 1-Q is when it follows a bowl of a strong blackberry blend that I also enjoy.
I received 13 different 1oz samples from Boswell's last night (their two sample packs are a great deal by the way). I also just ordered "The Shire Cobbit" and a 10-pack of smokable second cobs from Missouri Meerscham Co. Maybe I'll try the whole dedicated pipe thing for a while and see if that makes a difference.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Of all the Cobbits available, I like The Shire best. The pointed heel plus the long stem make it a unique cob.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I missed the original thread, but I am compelled to say Sparrowhawk's volcano is absolutely stunning! Please post more pictures when it arrives!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@ gtclark Here's where this all started.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/volcanos-1

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have the same rustication on my magnum. It's one of Marco's specialties, and makes the pipe feel like volcanic rock.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Exactly why I like this pipe so much. "Volcano" is more than just a general description here; the pipe really does look like a volcano. And the staining is amazing; how Marco got that effect on the bottom and rim out of black stain is remarkable. I'm trying to figure out how he did it for a sculpture I'm working on, which, in the end, is supposed to resemble carved rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.