fib8CtE.jpg

qEX9lNv.jpg

rIFuMv5.jpg

x7IuOx2.jpg

slWpvDb.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Gee whiz... What a beautiful pipe, made from an OMG piece of wood. Very nice work, thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow, a year ago, I would have told you that I hated volcanos. I just didn't understand the shape. Dublins seemed like a bent funnel, and billiards utalitarian, and Bulldogs a fit for the fingers and grown out of frazing machines, but volcanos just never rang a bell. I've seen a few that... But that one makes sense to me, like a cross between the bulldog and a Dublin or billiard in practicality, and the skate appeals to me, not overdone and pretentious. And THAT GRAIN!! You madman! Good thing you didn't get a picture of the slot. A well made slot makes my knees tremble. I might not be able to resist throwing my credit card at you and shoving a couple of ones in your bra. Ummm... disregard that last part, ha ha. Bravo on the shape. :puffy

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Oh, wow. That second and third photo; The grain on that piece of. Is that the natural color?

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Pardon my ignorance, but is that briar? I’ve never seen grain like that.. that is an incredible pipe, amazing work!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks,

george, thank you so much for the corrections! I will incorporate them on the next iteration. Your photo correction has been duly copied and placed in my lesson folder! Thank you again.

txpiper07, yes it is briar. I just got lucky with that piece.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
That grain is something unique, spectacular indeed.
What is up with George's pic?
George always likes to draw lines on the pipes, I think that's how he smokes them :nana: All kidding aside, I've started looking at pipes from that perspective as well thanks to George.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
A little bit of history about that particular block of briar. I did my pre-cut on the band saw back in May. I didn't like it and numerous times I picked it up thinking I couldn't do anything with it and to pitch it. Finally last week I said to myself no way I'm throwing this out, I have enough problems with wastage as it is. So I drilled it and began shaping. As you can imagine, I was surprised when the birds-eye started to peak through and astonished once it polished up.

Just a little reminder to myself that there often is a diamond in the rough.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Not sure if that’s a thumbs up from george or if he’s grading papers.
Some of each.
Shikano has been at it a while now and, I thought, is getting good enough that he's earned some shaping feedback. (Before now he's dealt mostly with construction/fabrication issues)
One of the main differences between a master's work and aspirational work is holding the lines you see in your mind's eye when shaping. And since pictures are worth a thousand words---never more true than when describing a pipe's lines---the easiest way to communicate breaks in the flow/hold is with nice, bright, contrasty OVERLAY lines. :D
(It's a standard means of communication on Tyler Beard's pipe carver's forum, and shikano knows how to interpret them.)

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Great pipe Chris! In other words curvier curves an pointer points. FLOW Like georged sais I'm sure you understood him. Keep em coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.