Vodka

(26 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by undecagon
  • Latest reply from peckinpahhombre
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am starting to take a liking to Vodka. It has always been that my Father drinks Vodka, and I drink Whisky, generally single malts. As such, I always have a bottle of Vodka in my freezer for when my parents visit. However, I've started drinking more vodka myself. I used to be repulsed by it straight. However, now, the grain flavor is more pleasing, and I don't pick up on whatever else I used to that I didn't like. That being said, the flavor is VERY light (now that I notice it at all), unlike a scotch where you have to sort threw a variety of flavors, with Vodka, you just pick up a bit of what's there.

I don't have any vermouth, so what I do is use lemon juice in the glass, spin it around and dump it. Then the vodka (shaken over ice) plus either a few olives or a couple onions. I've been pretty satisfied with it.

Reasons Vodka is worth the time:

1. Much cheaper than Scotch (although...not as good if you're really a fan...)
    2. Having it around pleases more guests (and you can keep your Scotch for yourself!)
    3. You can have bloody mary's in the morning! (I've always enjoyed these, even before I started liking Vodka on it's own)

Any other Vodka fans out there?

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Extra dry matinis, eh? I usually drink scotch but vodka is a nice change during hot weather. I like it straight as well as on the rocks. The premiums can be very tasty but I've found that Tito's is a reasonably priced potable for summer as well. Cheers.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep Tito's is great. Straight, on the rocks or with a bit of cranberry juice. Yum!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

+1 Bentmike... Tito's is my go to vodka. Good stuff!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you have not had a Black Russian, you are missing out It's my go-to drink atm.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When my daughter came home from college in Russia, she brought several bottles of Russian No Brand Vodka. It had a peppery taste that vodka here doesn't have. It spoiled me, and alas it's all gone now. My wife drinks VOX.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I prefer a good single malt or bourbon, chilled vodka neat from the freezer, or with orange juice in a screwdriver can be pretty good - I didn't notice Titos was made in Austin; sweet. It is micro-distilled (six times!) in an old-fashioned pot still, like a fine single malt. It is very clean, no sugar or gelatin is added. Basically it tastes like an ice cube, and makes a fine mixed drink as well. One of the best vodkas, and not expensive - less than $20 a bottle.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vodka also lends itself to infusions. There's a local restaurant that does its own infused vodkas (I believe they use Moskovskaya vodka as the base) - and they're marvelous. Lemon, dill, fig, pepper, vanilla - the list goes on. They serve them either by the shot or in a 9 oz. carafe (frozen into a block of ice).

We found a few bottles of Moskovskaya at our local liquor store and tried a few of our own. Strawberry turned out well, the vanilla was really tasty, and our anise flavor was a big hit. You just pour the vodka into a glass jar, add your flavoring agent (chunked up fruit minus seeds, a split vanilla bean or two, cracked anise pods, dill leaves), let it sit in the pantry for a while (2 days to a couple of weeks, depending on the flavoring and size of the batch), then strain it back into a bottle or decanter.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I drink vodka once in awhile. Jewel of Russia is by far the best vodka I have ever had

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

A good brand of vodka is pretty much de rigueur in anyone's home bar.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This, actual potato vodka. One of the very few potato vodka's on the market.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Extra dry matinis, eh?

There is no such thing as a vodka martini. A martini is a combination of gin and vermouth, Ian Fleming and James Bond notwithstanding.

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. koscak

koscak

Login to Send PM

This is famus vodka from my country ( slovenia ) : Slovenia vodka made with buckwheat

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vodka tonic with a few shakes of bitters! I have been drinking gin and bitters lately, also called pink gin.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Titos is a great vodka but I go for Glacier when I can get it. For a potato vodka, it's quite nice.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not much of a drinker, but I do one heck of a Crystal Head impression...

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually I just remembered this, if you live in the US, try Costco brand Kirkland vodka, it's made in the same town in france as grey goose is, 5x distilled, there's a huge myth on the internet that it's simply repackaged grey goose vodka, to the point that grey goose has launched lawsuits to stop the rumor. http://rebelbartender.com/2011/07/14/review-kirkland-signature-vodka-or-is-it-or-is-it-not-grey-goose/

Just look at the search results http://www.google.ca/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=cr#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&ei=wAkEUvebD9LSqAHoi4CYAg&fp=90ae7c9922eac4d&q=kirkland+vodka+grey+goose&sa=N&start=0
    Funny thing is alot of people say they prefer the kirkland to grey goose, and it's substantially cheaper.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. irwinmetro

irwinmetro

Login to Send PM

I pretty much only drink vodka in White Russians and while bowling or watching Big Lebowski.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Andrew, that's the brand I buy, have a couple every night except weekends. Great vodka especially for the price. Like it as much as Stoli & absolute.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

When I was much younger in my 20's and 30's Black Russians and vodka tonics wherein my drink rotation. Have not had any vodka in a long time but now find myself inspired.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being a lover of single malts and whiskeys I don't have a great knowledge or palate for vodkas but in the heat of summer I enjoy a citrus infused vodka mixed with lemonade or limeade which I find refreshing. Ketel One I use for a premium vodka and Pinnacle (distilled in France) is both extremely economical and fine for mixing IMO.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anybody ever watch the show Food Unwrapped? They did a great segment on vodka and gin recently. I never realized that gin is nothing more than flavoured vodka - ie in making gin they use vodka as a base and infuse it with juniper berries and sometimes some herbs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gin is flavored vodka? The hell you say! Do you know what then is the difference between infused vodka and gin?

Always hated gin, btw. Bourbon first (Kentucky Spirit), single malt second (Dalmore), then tequila (Herraduras not Patron) and vodka (Titos).

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. tombraider

tombraider

Login to Send PM

Check the proof on a bottle of vodka compared with a bottle of gin. Gin is not flavoured vodka. They both have a grain alcohol base, but what each producer does with that base is very different.
    Vodka is described as a colourless, odourless, flavourless alcoholic beverage.
    Gin can have various colours as well as very distinct aromas and flavours and is in my opinion a far superior spirit.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gin can be made from any grain-neutral spirit. Proof tells you nothing since everything you drink (unless it's everclear) has been diluted to some extent somewhere in the process. Since gin is infused (like tea) it takes on the flavors and sometimes colors of the stuff it's infused with. That's why vodka makes such a great base for gin as it is flavorless,colorless and mostly odorless. So yes, it is made from a kind of "vodka" but not necessarily the vodka you know well. It's just like the fact whiskey is made from beer, you wouldn't recognize it as beer but it is.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey don't shoot the messenger. I know shit about gin (I hate the stuff). All I know is that in this show they go behind the scenes to explore how various food and beverages are made and they visited the oldest gin distillery in London (or the UK, I can't remember) and this is what the guy said. Google Food Unwrapped S02E02 (ie episode 2 of season 2) - you can watch it for free on some streaming sites.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, sasquatch, alaskanpiper, jaytex969, steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, elpfeife, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper