PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
When I was much younger, I smoked cigarettes, and of course, I inhaled. But I don't remember getting the nicotine hits that I seem to be getting these days smoking my pipe, which I DON'T inhale. In fact, I don't remember getting so much Vitamin N effect from pipe smoking until fairly recently.
Is there more nicotine in pipe tobacco than in cigarettes? Have manufacturers increased the amount of nicotine in pipe tobacco of late? Or is it maybe my advanced age that is making me feel the effects more?
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I wouldn't think so.

Caughin' Nails are nicotine delivery systems.

I believe that your sensitivity to nicotine has increased owing to your loss of dependency on nicotine delivery.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Hmm, interesting theory, Lawrence -- but I haven't smoked cigarettes for over 30 years!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Lawrence, & there is other crap that is different now vs. 20 years ago, with me, some 5 years ago.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Cigarettes have so many chemicals in them I'm convinced people are more addicted to the chemicals than the nicotine. However, if you put it in perspective, a bowl is like 3-4 cigarettes at once, then depending on the tobacco, there is definitely more nicotine in certain types. Burley has a higher nicotine content than virginia's, so there are alot of different factors. Luxury bullseye flake gives me a nice dizzy feeling sometimes, I believe that is the perique content.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
It seems I've become more sensitive to nicotine as I've aged. Blends I cellared years ago that I considered all day smokes seem way too strong for me now. I remember thinking along the same lines as the OP: does nicotine content increase as tobacco ages? I think, in my case at least, I've changed more than the tobacco.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I to am sensitive to nicotine. I am not sure it is related to age since I have been a nicotine wimp for some time. Some of the online retailers rate the strength of tobacco tins like 4 Noggins which is greatly appreciate by me and I am sure others.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
While we're on the subject of "Vitamin N," I should also mention that it has some health benefits.
About a month after I quit cigarettes (about 30 years ago, on the evening before my second (and lasting) marriage) I started to develop asthma symptoms. Naturally, I was highly incensed - it just didn't seem fair that, now I had stopped a dangerous form of smoking, I was developing respiratory problems.
Well, the Doc told me that it wasn't at all uncommon - there's something in nicotine that suppresses asthma. He said he's seen several such cases of asthma developing after quitting smoking.
And I actually find that smoking a pipe, especially with high-nic tobacco blends, during allergy season, helps to limit allergic reactions, and I don't have to use my asthma inhaler as often.
So, if you needed a reason to smoke a pipe ..........

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
And I actually find that smoking a pipe, especially with high-nic tobacco blends, during allergy season, helps to limit allergic reactions, and I don't have to use my asthma inhaler as often.
So, if you needed a reason to smoke a pipe ..........
Never heard of that before, but I'll take it.

samreddevilz

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Sorry I can't help you in this regard. Coz I didn't start smoking from an early age. I am not facing any problem now. Thanks.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Hello 4dot - I also was wondering about the allergy suppressing effect you mentioned. I'm fairly new to pipes, but I notice when I smoke at least a bowl per day, I don't have the allergy issues in Spring and Fall that I used to have. I haven't had the need to take any OTC allergy med this year. Usually by now, I have been through a nasty bout with the allergies. I tried to research a bit but couldn't find anything to support it, so I just chalked it up to wishful thinking. Interesting.
I have yet to feel the nic kick I so often read about with certain pipe tobaccos. I guess I need to try some Irish Flake and see if I am highly tolerant. I dabbled in cigarettes as a kid, and I can definitely remember my head spinning a time or two.
Bill

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
The only documented explanation I was able to find for nicotine's effect on allergy suppression is that the initial "kick" is caused by stimulation of the adrenal gland, which in turn suppresses allergic symptoms (as in the use of an epinephrine injection for severe asthma or other allergic symptoms).
And there's this from Science Daily:
"Cigarette Smoke Can Prevent Allergies, Study Suggests
May 18, 2009 — Everyone knows that smoking can kill you, but new research suggests that it may help with your allergies. A study of mouse mast cells shows that cigarette smoke can prevent allergies by decreasing the reaction of immune cells to allergens.
Smoking can cause lung cancer, pulmonary disease, and can even affect how the body fights infections. Along with many harmful effects, smoking cigarettes has a surprising benefit: cigarettes can protect smokers from certain types of allergies. Now, a study recommended by Neil Thomson, a member of Faculty of 1000 Biology and leading expert in the field of respiratory medicine, demonstrates that cigarette smoke decreases the allergic response by inhibiting the activity of mast cells, the major players in the immune system's response to allergens.
Researchers at Utrecht University in the Netherlands found that treatment of mast cells with a cigarette smoke-infused solution prevented the release of inflammation-inducing proteins in response to allergens, without affecting other mast cell immune functions.
The mast cells used in the study were derived from mice, but it is likely that the same anti-allergy effect will hold true in humans. While taking up smoking to cure allergies is unwise, Thomson concludes that the findings presented in this study are "consistent with a dampening of allergic responses in smokers."

Status
Not open for further replies.