PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Two days ago I decided to go to the James Upshall Factory as I was in the area. On the way there, I was feeling excited and a bit wierd as I have not been there for 28 years. I seemed to know every bend in the road as though it was yesterday. I arrived there and the first thing I felt was the absolute silence as I got out of my car. The air used to be filled with the whining noise of the saw, the extractor fan and the rumble of the turning lathe. Absolute silence and I thought of how grateful the neighbours may feel now that the noise was finally over. The factory was in need of painting but the James Upshall sign was still there up on the wall. I peered into one of the windows, and there was 'my saw bench', the same one I used all those years ago and on the window sill were the very same briar shape pattern cut-outs that Barry had made all those years ago for me and in the same cardboard box. some of the shapes still had my writing on them!!! The turning lathe next to the saw had not been used for some time and the flat-belt had been removed from the pully. Next to the lathe was a stack of possibly six bags of plateau briar (from Greece, about 600 blocks). I thought that was strange and, looking through another window I saw the racks (that Barry and I had built) with more plateau blocks laid out. I also saw the old Sasieni fitting lathe was still there with the same composite chuck jaws I had got made for it! That lathe must be now at least 80 years old. Why didn't I take any photos of my experience there? I don't know, it was like the twilight zone and I was so mesmerised by the experience. Then a thought came to me and a feeling of excitement rushed through my body. Why not buy the factory and start making Upshalls with hand-cut mouthpieces and in the stylised shapes that I would love to see today, or at least finish these few hundred blocks of plateau? This was just a pipe dream.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
On the way there, I was feeling excited and a bit wierd as I have not been there for 28 years. I seemed to know every bend in the road as though it was yesterday.
I think we can all relate to that feeling about some place or other in our past. What an amazing sight you describe -- all the more meaningful for someone who was actually there.
---------------
Who owns that building these days, anyway - is it that Ezrati character? And does that mean that the Upshalls they sell on ebay are just NOS? So strange. And sad.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think that I can understand your feelings, I used to drive by the closed restaurant that I started at in 1979. They finally knocked it down, but until then, driving by gave me an odd feeling of sadness every time. It had two decorative stone columns. When they knocked it down, my wife drove by and grabbed one of the blocks, which is now in one of our gardens.
I would love to see the building and sign, if you ever get by again and feel up to a picture. I'm surprised that one of the UK artisans wouldn't be interested in the remaining stock of briar, etc. I wonder if Mr. Ezrati still owns the property?

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Al, at the James Upshall homepage (Upshallusa.com )under makeing an Upshall you can see photos of the

building - looks very nice.

But, it is a sad story .

Jorgen

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'll just post the links for the curious, but here are a couple of pics of the building from 2007 or so:
http://i.imgur.com/0HmCvJa.jpg
http://www.locksands2.esy.es/121105/tilshead.htm

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It had two decorative stone columns. When they knocked it down, my wife drove by and grabbed one of the blocks, which is now in one of our gardens.
What a great idea. Very cool.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm sure it was a bittersweet moment for you, Ken. I'm also surprised that someone has not acquired some of the old stock. Perhaps some day we'll see those come to light.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Maybe this is the answer to the question of are they currently making pipes. Barry Jones seemed to disappear shortly after Motty bought the business and always got the same excuse that he was on Holliday when I asked if I could have a pipe made. I never really trusted the new owners and still skeptical about what is going on. It's a shame as an Upshall group 5 bent billiards would go great in my collection.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Images from Google Maps (2009). Lovely village.
http://i.imgur.com/SkEw11Z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JfMVryg.png
EDIT: These images are large, so I've just posted the links for those interested.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your experience was a real interlude with time itself. When I go back to a place where I have spent a lot of time, working or visiting, or whatever, there are always these swirling eddies of feeling. The fact that you can go back at all, but that it is so changed. You are observing your younger self, yet you are also observing your older self. Now you have the experience to revisit, and I think it will be fertile ground for working into your future. Buy the place? Maybe. Or make a new place. Or maybe you already have.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Then a thought came to me and a feeling of excitement rushed through my body. Why not buy the factory and start making Upshalls with hand-cut mouthpieces and in the stylised shapes that I would love to see today, or at least finish these few hundred blocks of plateau? This was just a pipe dream.
Too bad it's just a pipe dream - that would be lovely.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Sounds like the next time you go back to visit it will be to make some pipes. You heard yourself... it's pretty much all there and ready to go. It sounds like the place was calling you. The good news about our pipe dreams is that they are not far fetched. I'll be your first customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.