Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
The recent talks of McClelland's tobaccos brought to mind a problem I've been having recently in choosing blends to try. I've had a few McC blends before, but never found anything to really get me excited. The characteristic McC aroma was a huge turn off at first, and blends like Red Cake were difficult to handle for a beginner. Recently, I snagged a can of Blackwoods Flake while restocking on pipe cleaners, and I think I may be falling in love. The tin is dated 2011 and since I've started giving it some air everyday to let the vinegar smell dissipate, I've enjoyed it more and more. My only complaint is that it seems kind of average in the nicotine department. I'm trying to remain a former cigarette smoker and smoke heavy blends like Dark Flake U/S and Brown Irish Twist often. Full Virginia Flake seems to deliver quite well, but is starting to feel like Stonehaven in terms of availability. Are there any characteristic McC blends that have a stronger profile and heavier nicotine hit? Are there other blends with a predominantly brown sugar and hay flavor profile that approach the fullness of FVF? How do Best Brown #2, Brown Flake U/S, and Best Brown Flake compare to Dark Flake U/S and FVF?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
FVF is my favorite, alot of guys do but I dont like Best Brown.

IMHO VaPers come closer to FVF flavor strength more than most vas do...

like escudo or something

Maybe St James Woods

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
Peterson's Irish Flake is fantastic stuff; very similar to Dark Flake U/S. Escudo is also fantastic, though I haven't had any in a long time. It would be nice to find a less expensive bulk blend that met my requirements. Even without the desire for nicotine, I love a full, bracing, strong tobacco. Brown Irish Twist is wonderful, but I find I'm not always in the mood for the fermented, cigar-like undertones. I'm thinking on trying Newminster's Superior Round Slices for my love of Kentucky. St. James Woods will likely find it's way into my next order as well. For some reason lately, I have the urge to focus on bulks by the pound. My PAD is more or less sated, and TAD has kicked up in it's place.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
You know, I hadn't thought about it in that light. Just the same, cigarettes were never something I collected or bought to age. I have about $150 budgeted to my next big tobacco purchase. There's a real temptation to just buy two C&D 5 pound bags just to have 10 pounds in my cellar overnight. I recently ordered a tin of Three Friars and Old Joe Krantz to sample them and decide which I'd like most for the cellar.
For that matter, I love OJK and Hunted Bookshop for both being excellent burleys, as well as well loaded with nicotine. I'm not sure yet where Three Friars falls on that spectrum, as I haven't had it in a long time. Sometimes, though, I crave that Virginia sweetness and damp, thick mouthfeel along with that damnable fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.