PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I like Virginias and Latakias...other than Frog, what are some blends of high quality Virginias with just a bit of Latakia?

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I just opened my first tin of Sutliff Blend No.5 and I would say that I am very pleased with it (enough that it is going in normal rotation); it has both Virginia and Latakia in it.

~Ron

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
W/O Larsen Selected Blend No. 20 has a really nice Virginia sweetness, with enough Latakia to make it full and savoury.

MacBaren Plum Cake is NOT an aromatic, but also a nice smokey Virginia blend.
I enjoy both quite often these days (it's not quite fall so I can't go to the full Latakia laden blends just yet)

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
It may have too much Latakia for you but Brebbia Latakia Flake #9 is just air-cured VA and Syrian Latakia. I think it's an excellent, underappreciated smoke, rich, leathery, a tad sweet, a tad spicy. One of my favorites. But I think it has more than "just a bit of Latakia" so it might be more than you're looking for.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
So many choices out there. The blends that I'm currently smoking a really enjoy are 4Noggins Britt's Balkan, Macbaren HH Syrian and Boswell's Northwoods.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
high quality Virginias with just a bit of Latakia
You want just a bit of latakia, a lot of what is mentioned above does not fill the bill - I love SG Balkan Flake, for example, but that's a fair amount of latakia, as is MacB HH VS, which I also love. (Admittedly, what is "just a bit" is very subjective.)
You might want to try MacBaren's Latakia Blend. MacB has 4 blends with varying levels of latakia, and this is the lowest. Not much at all, and it's Syrian lat, like all MacB blends. (In order of amounts of latakia, it's LB, then Plumcake, then Solent, then HH Vintage Syrian.)
Walnut is also just a whisper of lat - you might try that.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Walnut is also just a whisper of lat - you might try that.
Agreed! Walnut has enough latakia to spice things up, and is very smooth and mellow. I smoke it straight, and mixed 50/50 with Carter Hall, but Walnut is a blend of many tobacs, not just VA.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've had a couple bowls of Sextant by GLP. The latakia is definitely there, but the red VAs and Perique reaaaally shine through. It's very, very different, so much so that it completely absorbs my attention when I smoke it, but delicious.

+1 Jud, MacBaren's Latakia blend is a really good suggestion.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What about Sam Gawith's Navy Flake?
Not light on lat, though, which is what the OP mentioned, although it's lighter than Balkan Flake. Again, that's kinda subjective.
Walnut is a blend of many tobacs, not just VA

Well, yeah, but when he says "a bit of latakia", there aren't many options.

Status
Not open for further replies.