PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Looking for some help on this. Found several Va/ Per I enjoy. Is like to get some suggestions on a virgins forward oriental mix. I've tried Sam's flake and was not an immediate fam.
Thanks

Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think London Mixture from Dunhill was in this vein, but since it's gone, there's another one that's similar from Sutliff, that used to be sold as Westminster (not the GLP blend) but is still made but sold as bulk under a different name I'm not recalling.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Ha! I just finished a bowl of Hearth & Home Sweet and Savory. I had this cellared for a bit and just broke it out tonight. The Hearth and Home series has many home runs in the line and if you are looking for an easily obtained quality smoke then give this a try. Well blended virginia/oriental blend that is very tasty-- just top shelf! Highly recommended.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Waccamaw and Embarcadero are two of my favorites Va/Or. I prefer Embarcadero of the two, but both are similar. My tin of Embarcadero did not last long for sure.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
+1 for Embarcadero

Also Sunday Picnic and Cairo.

Dreams of Kadath to take the whole Virginia/Oriental thing up to the next level.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Another endorsement for Embarcadero here. Almost every time I smoke it, it reaches "the zone" with at least part of the bowl being perfect.
If you want a cheap and interesting Orientals option, check out D&R's Ramback Balkan, one of my top "I don't know what I want" no fuss smokes.
jay-roger.jpg

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Brunello Flake

Embarcadero

Bijou

Oriental Silk (good, but give it a year)

Ascanian No.1

Raccoon Accent

Any of the McClelland Grand Orientals if you can find them at a reasonable price.
You’ll find very few straight-up Va/Ori blends. Many you find are going to have a touch of perique or burley included.

Oct 7, 2016
Though it has Burley, Brunello Flake is another Savinelli blend that, along with Doblones d’Oro, you should never mention again if you like it. Feel free to post negative reviews.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
GL Pease's Cairo

Rattray's Red Rapparre is in that direction with some latakia
I also think "And So To Bed" by Esoterica goes there as well, especially once dried out well.
McClelland's Drama Reserve was the pinnacle of this style IMHO, but that's no more :(

rogers

Mar 9, 2012
If you don't mind the price, Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture might float our boat.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Appreciate the suggestions. Will look them up and start ordering. The one I've smoked that got me started down this road was mature 24. I'm told is got a bit of oriental in the blend, loved it, but while I can't find that anymore, I hopefully will find a few from your suggestions that scratch that itch.

Bob

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
GLP Cairo

GLP Embarcadero

GLP Temple Bar

GLP Regents Flake

Low Country Waccamaw
This thread makes me happy and sad about my stash of McClelland Classic Samsun. Happy I’ve got some, sad I don’t have even more

Status
Not open for further replies.