PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Alright I know I should have started out with a Virginia leaf opposed to an aromatic blend but now I have decided to make the switch. So my question for you all is what would be a good tin to start with? Also, what is the difference between latakia and Virginia? (I know, I'm a newby smoker) Any suggestions are appreciated! :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Here are some basics...
There are two main types of base tobaccos:

Burley - high nicotine and low natural sugar content. Burns cool, but fairly flavorless. Used in cigarettes.

Virginia - low nicotine and high natural sugar content. Burns hot, but lots of natural flavor.
There are also "condiment" tobaccos, like Latakia, Orientals and Perique. These unique tobaccos are very strong in flavor and are added to either Burley, Virginia (or a combination) for additional flavor and depth.
Cavendish is not a type of tobacco, but a process using either Burley or Virginia that uses heat, pressure and usually sugar or alcohol based flavorings.
My personal favorite Virginia is McClellad 5100. Again, smoke it SLOWLY to avoid overheating.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Several good VA's to try are Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. Those are among my favorites, but the PS blends are hard to find right now. Another great one is Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd.

Jul 15, 2011
Im gonna add Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake, Hearth and Home AJs Vaper, and McClelland Gray Havens to the list of reccomendations. The Gray Havens has some Burley in it, but it is a damn fine smoke. The Hearth and Home baccys are high quality as well and are full of flavor. I dont have enough experience with Virginias to make a recommendation beyond that.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Frog Morton is English, not VA.
I agree with all listed, but will add orlik and escudo, great tobaccos

Jul 15, 2011
Frog Morton is a really tasty but mild introduction to English tobaccos. Its a good place to start if youre just starting out on more full flavored tobaccos. The Frog is in my top 5 tobaccos and should not be missed.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
@bigvan -Nice basic description of tobacco types.

Frennchy -Good for you for deciding to experiment. I smoked aromatics for nearly 20 years before trying something different. :? GL Pease is the bad influence that got me hooked on virginia blends. :D What ever you try remember to smoke slow and sip. That's what brings out the awesome flavor of Virginias.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Grey Havens is more of an Aromatic, Pipe Novelist. But you're right about Frog Morton being an English.
Frenchy, FYI: the term "English" blend is often used synonymously with "latakia blend". There are quite a few posts that go into more detail.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I love Davidoff Flake Medallions, Virginia with some Perique and cavendish core. Smoke it slow and allow the flavours develope. Pricey tin but worth every penny if you ask me.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Sliding in with another vote for Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd... Very good, also a beig fan of any of the Mclelland blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Too many Va's to list; and, I never met one I didn't like. Best bet is to visit the Luxury Tobacco Reviews home page.

In the left hand column under Tobacco Categories you can find descriptions (at least) of the more popular blends.
Also note that "Virginia" is not just one type of leaf. There are many varieties: Lemon, Orange, Red, etc., and different preparations.

You can get up to speed rather quickly by reading Russ Ouellette's blog, "Put That In Your Pipe", especially the June 2011 article,

"Virginia Tobacco NOT from Virginia!?!?!". Good luck on what is for most people a lifetime quest. :clap:

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
@cortezattic I just read the article "Virginia Tobacco NOT from Virginia!?!?!" And it was very informative. Thanks for that link!

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
Any pease virginia is a good place to start. Telegraph Hill was my first and got me hooked on his blends.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I think new people should start mild. MacBaren Va #1. Once you graduate beyond it, you can always lightly sprinkle some remainders in with other blends until used up.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the world of Virginias. It's a whole different thing from aromatics, and will require you to smoke slowly - sip the tobacco. Also note that some of the blends mentioned have perique in them, which is, as someone mentioned, a condimental tobacco, and not one that everyone cares for. I am one of the people who does not care for Va/pers.
As for specific blend advice, someone mentioned that "you can't go wrong with McClelland's", which, in my limited experience, has proved to be true. Their blends are all high quality, even if a particular one is not my cuppa.
I am fond of McCranie's Red Ribbon, Sam Gawaith Best Brown Flake, Dunhill Flake, and Hartwell's Signature. These are all staples in my rotation. I would add another vote for Hal o' th' Wynd. I would also mention Rattray's Old Gowrie, and MacBaren's HH Mature Virginia.
Happy smoking. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.