PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
As always, here is a little preamble to my question.
My father is a dyed in the wool pipe smoker who swears only by OTC products (Dr Grabow, Capt Black White when he feels like dropping the bucks on it as it is $10 a pouch in our part of NY). He misses John Rolfe Peach Brandy. Anyway, a few years ago, he switched to the Rite-Aide black and gold blend. I tried it, didn't care for it but for $27 for 12 oz and he likes it, I would never say anything to him. That line of products was made by Dream Castle.
A few days ago, he brings in a bag of tobacco called "Virginia Gold.' He hasn't been able to find his blend for some time and I guess they were phasing it out for this. Now it's 9 oz for $17 and it's made by STG. I tried a pipe and it wasn't bad. The black and gold is whisky flavored and it smelled pretty good. It also didn't have the highly processed sheen that the old Rite-Aide stuff did, which was a nice change. He thought it burned hot though and, overall, didn't care for the experience. I thought it burned hot too but I chalked it up to the fact I always smoke too hot. Regardless, I think I might give it a spin in addition to seeing what other styles they are putting out. It seems like the most cost effective solution to living in this state and if it can produce a decent smoke, I might make a habit of using it (at least until I can get out of this state).
The question, I guess, is has anyone else tried this? And to the OTC smokers out there, it might be worth investigating.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
roth, I don't feel 'impuned,' but it made me think perhaps I failed to express myself clearly (It had been a long day yesterday and I was very much sunburned). Anyway, now that I'm rested and, if not refreshed, at least not rambling off a jumble of disconnected thoughts in the middle of the night, I will restate my intended message:
If you are a fan of Capt Black, Borkum Riff or any other drug store aromatic (there are folks who do, after all), you might want to look at Virginia Gold, made by Scandinavian Tobacco Group and sold at Rite-Aide. In my location, it is $17 for 9 oz compared to the $10 for 1.5 oz for Capt Black. I would imagine the price ratio would be comparable in other places.
Having handled both RYO and legitimate pipe tobacco, I can say with a high degree of certainty that what I am discussing is pipe tobacco and not Sparrow, Gambler, or Tin Star calling menthol 'aromatic.'
I hope by eliminating the admittedly useless story, I have made my intentions clearer. New rule for myself, no more posting anything on the forum after 10 pm.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the bulk tobaccos available online from Lane, Altadis, and others, are comparable in price, maybe

a little more with shipping, but deliver a lot more refined flavor than most of the generics. Having said that,

I occasionally enjoy some of the less celebrated OTC's -- Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Granger. But I'd shop

and compare. You can get some creditable tobacco in bulk for good prices at some of the online retailers

who sponsor this site.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
@ mso: But again, referring back to my father, he likes what he likes and only likes it if he can buy it down the road. I figure there must other people like my father so I thought I might mention this Virginia Gold on the forum.
@roth: No problem, I'm glad we are on the same page. I hope I didn't seem too salty in my response. I plan on posting back when I find out more about this Virginia Gold especially if there are more blends besides the black and gold, which I suspect there is, so I hope you would do likewise if you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.