PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogdoc81

Lurker
Nov 26, 2015
So I purchased some Virginia Flake. I have a tin of Samuel G. opened but I realize that I don't know how to load this stuff into a pipe. I just am not getting the fold and stuff method.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't know how to load this stuff into a pipe

Hey Doc, Many veteran smokers use the fold and stuff method, but it's a tricky thing to do. Especially getting it lit and keeping it lit. I like to cube cut flakes across the grain with scissors and then rub it out to as fine a cut as I can.

dogdoc81

Lurker
Nov 26, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to cube cut and rub it out. I'm very young in the ways of packing a bowl so it should be closer to what I'm used to. I've definitely learned to appreciate the benefit of packing well. Seems to make the difference.

Sep 18, 2015
Flakes are a lesson in patience, I am now up to two blends that I can fold and stuff with somewhat consistent results Mac Barons ODF and Solani ABF, I'm not giving up on learning how to do this but a lot of times it's just not worth aggravation so I will cube it to about quarter inch crosscuts and just gravity feed it, other times I will make half inch crosscuts and rub it out.

As I'm typing this I'm working on the last quarter bowl of Solani 633 folded and stuffed it's taken at least 20 relights to get this far and it will probably be at least a week before I save up enough patience to try this again.

At least I have a sharp knife!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I smoke Dunhill Flake every day. I don't fold, I just scrunch a bunch of it into the pipe and light up. Never have a problem lighting or keeping it lit. You just have to pack it loose, because it expands when lit. Forget the "draw like a straw" crap. If you can feel it draw it's too tight.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Some flakes I fold in half and roll between my palms to rub it out just a little. Easier to light and keep lit this way for me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I would definitely cube cut it for your few first goes at this. Cube cutting is pretty fool proof; just cut small strips against the grain and you're good to go. Gravity fill the pipe and light up. It will take several attempts to light but once ya get it going you'll be good to go.

dogdoc81

Lurker
Nov 26, 2015
So I tried the cube cut and rub out technique. Loaded the bowl like I normally do. I was eager to taste the tobacco and should have allowed a little more drying time. I did have to relight more than a typical bowl but not excessive. I was finally able to appreciate that sweet, grassy, hay flavor that Id heard others discuss. I enjoyed the experience for sure. Glad I have more on hand.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I tend to fully rub out most flakes, but I do fold and stuff and/or cube cut some. It seems each flake blend has its own properties in terms how each method works. Experimenting is best, and I learned each technique from watching youtube videos, which helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.