PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrax

Lurker
Jun 3, 2011
Hey, whats the best Virginia tobacco out there. I've heard that Gawith "Full Virginia Flake" is sublime. What do you all say about this?

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
My favourites are Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Best Brown, Medium Virginia Flake (Golden Glow), Orlik Golden Slice.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Samuel Gawtith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake

Rattray's Marlin Flake

Fribourg And Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Dan Tobacco's Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake

Solani 633

McClelland 5100

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
One that seems to have very consistent reviews is Blackwoods Flake, I have a tin on the way and looking forward to it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gotta remember that there is no such thing as the "best" Virginia - it's all a matter of personal preference.
I personally did not care for FVF - I found it to be higher in nic than I care for.
I am quite fond of SG Best Brown Flake. McCranie's Red Ribbon is another favorite. There are many tins of both aging in my cellar. :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thrax: +1 with Jud, it's all personal preference. But i've built a pretty long list of VA's since that what I tend to gravitate towards. If you PM me your email I'll send it to you since it's in Excel.
For good, mild bulk VA, with a little topping but not overwhelming I recommend Lane Limited MV-1000. It's staple in my jars on the shelf.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here are some of my favorite Virginia's.

SG FVF and Best Brown

F&T Cut Virginia Plug

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Astley's no.s 44 and 109

Solani Silver Flake

PS Luxury Twist Flake

forgotteng

Lurker
Jul 30, 2012
I also am looking for a good Virginia. I have tried both FVF and Dunhill Flake. I'm pretty sure I didn't have the best experience because initially the tobacco was too wet and I had issues getting it lit and then I got some frog morton that I loved so it distracted me. Now my flakes are dried out and I need to re-hydrate. So I haven't given up yet but I am enjoying the work. I'm surprised nobody brought up G.L. Pease Union Square. Any thoughts on this Virginia. I have enjoyed Greg's take on the pipe experience.

Jul 12, 2011
SG FVF

Rattray's Marlin Flake

Fribourg And Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Dunhill Flake

Solani 633

MC's Blackwoods flake

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
MacBarren's VA #1 is really good...agree with the others...it is lightly cased with honey...at least that is my read on it.
Dunhill Flake is good, but more costly.

stanven

Lurker
Dec 15, 2012
Texas
So far-Dunhill Flake, Bullseye Flake (has Perique and a little Cavendish), and FVF occasionally. I will try some of your suggestions and probably find some very nice blends.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
My Virginia short list:
Freibourg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Wessex Gold Block

McClelland Blackwoods Flake
In bulk; McClelland 5100 and 2015 are great and work well mixed together

Status
Not open for further replies.