PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I found several posts from people indicating they have a Viprati Pipe. Especially in the long list of "What Are You Smoking" I see many of you post that they're are smoking "Tobacco XYZ in a Viprati ABC"
But... how do they smoke ? They're expensive, but oh so pretty. Not sure yet whether I would add one to my list, so any input or experiences are most appreciated.
For those that want some eye candy, here's some examples.
1qd.jpg

2qd.jpg

yp12m.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Excellent pipes. Luigi attends the Chicago show every year and he's quite a character (I mean that in a GOOD way). I bought one of his pipes a few years ago, smoked it for a year and sold it for more than I paid for it a year later.
So yeah, they're good pipes.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
They've always caught my eye...and I can't imagine them not smoking well.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I have one from 06. It's not one I smoke often, but it's a good smoke. Comparable to a Mastro.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I have a Saxaphone by Viprati. A nice pipe with a huge bowl. The draft hole was a bit high from the bottom of the chamber, but I got the thing so cheap, I figured I would just add pipe mud to build it up. Still haven't smoked it yet. :oops:
That said, I could swear I read somewhere that he uses real good Briar. I am in the camp that says you can taste briar, and that even after a cake build-up, it still influences the flavors you get from your tobaccos.

I have been told I was nuts for stating that, many times, but a recent "conversation" with a very prominent person in the pipe world resulted in him agreeing with me. I have a few pipes that the Briar is so delicious, I do not let a cake build up in them. Anything more than a light coat gets REAMED! :D

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have a Viprati with a waterbuffelow stem smokes great. This is one of my favorite pipes.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I have two Viprati pipes, purchased from him when he visited our pipe club. Excellent smokers, both of them. He makes a very nice pipe at a reasonable price. You should buy one...

aroanian

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Any idea about the quality and prices (regarding 1Q & 2Q) of the first generation Viprati pipes?
I am talking about the La Pipa pipes he created back in the early 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.