PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Yesterday, I jarred up a pound of Old Dark Fired and loaded up a bowl from the crumbs left over. It was my first remarkable burly endeavor.
Just now, I had a bowl of Viprati. I'm about 2/3 through the tin and it's become noticeably drier. Not crunchy dry, just not as moist as when opened.
A well behaved smoke from the get-go, it's even more so with less moisture. I enjoyed it greatly.
The biggest thing I noticed, I really tasted the burly for the first time. I'm uncertain whether it's because of my recent exposure to the Old Dark Fired, or because of the drier state. Maybe both.
No real point beyond that. Just wanted to share my small steps of discovery with you.
jay-roger.jpg

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The reason that the tobacco dries like that is that we don't use a humectant to keep the tobacco moist. I don't have an issue with the manufacturers wjo use them, but it's my personal policy not to use them.
Russ

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of the many reasons I like Russ's work!
Oddly enough I bought an ounce or two from a local B+M, a blend they call there own. It always feels moister than it actually is. Must be a humectant cause I can't taste any topping. Don't care for the feel of the tobacco, though it's an o.k. smoke.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
My friend bought a tin over an year ago and he'd been picking at it on every other occasion.
We smoked last bit of that tin a while ago, it was drier and little age did it's thing too. I tasted Burley and was quite surprised, the first time I smoked it I assumed it was vaper.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm certainly not complaining, Russ.
As a pipe FNG, I'm vocalizing all the little voices in my head as I go along.
BTW, I just read your Perique article on Talking Tobacco.
Very informative and enjoyable!
jay-roger.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As have a great many others, I've learned that I get the most flavor from a blend when it is smoked quite dry. I'm not suggesting crispy dry, but just shy of that when the tobacco feels dry to the touch when squeezed, but still pliant. Excess moisture masks flavors.

Indoor smokers can smell their smoke, which gives them the flavors that they would otherwise miss. But I only smoke outdoors, so getting the most flavor from the blend I'm smoking has required me to experiment, leading me to the conclusion that I've just stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.