PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

This set is absolutely beautiful, and I was an exceptionally lucky fella to snag them:
CM1.jpg

The energy off these pipes is quite exceptional.
They fit perfectly in the case, and I mean perfectly. However, the meer is dated to 1876, and the briar to 1909 - so, not a true matching pair. Also, the Briar is stamped RFG in a Heart on the shank.
This is my question - does anyone know who the RFG is? I've spent a week looking and can find absolutely nothing.
The Meer has CM over MM silver mark, and the briar has MS over MS silver mark.
A few more, pre-clean-up, pics:
CM2.jpg

CM3.jpg

CM4.jpg

CM5.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
From what I'm seeing...
C.M over M.M. without outline Charles Leopold MAAS trading as Charles MAAS & CO - London tobacco pipe manufacturers and dealers.
?
http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYTOBACCONISTC.html

K

klause

Cheers, Dave. The Meer is original to the case, the CM on the case is Charles Maas and, as you point out, matches the silver marks. Its the briar that intrigues me.
Incidentally, that meer is the lightest meer pipe I've ever held - featherweight would be an understatement. However, after waxing, it was noticably heavier, but still fairly light.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
klause:
Concerning the lovely little briar bulldog pipe, I believe the following concerning the hallmarking:

1. The lion denotes .925 sterling silver.

2. The three wheat sheaves denotes Chester, England.

3. The stylized "J" (if, indeed it is a "J") denotes, as you noted above, 1909.
As for the "RFG" inside of the heart stamp, I am thoroughly puzzled. This looks like a job for jguss!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Klause:
Just out of curiosity, how sure are you of the dating of the Maas pipe? I'm using my phone, and can't really see the hallmarks for myself. 1876 is not impossible, for sure, but that would be very early indeed. Maas was born in Bavaria in 1849, and probably only emigrated to England around 1870-75.
As for RFG, haven't a clue.
Best,

Jon

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
klause:
If I am correct in the information in my post above concerning the hallmarking of the briar pipe, then I recommend researching pipe-makers and tobacconists operating in the Chester area circa 1909. That may be the only avenue which leads to the answer regarding this mysterious maker/seller.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The meerschaum pipe is quite interesting. You can see the duck quill stinger has survived and unusually it is not in the 'clay pipe' cutty style I am so fond of smoking.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@huntertrw During the late 1870s pipe makers would use a cut down duck or goose quill as a stinger and it was usually cemented into the stem on the bone tenion where it screwed into the shank of the meerschaum pipe. They normally don't survive although later version made from acetate do show up from time to time. I have quite a few that have made it into the 21st century and trust me they are a fecking nightmare to get a very thin pipe cleaner down at they are tar traps of the first order..

K

klause

Jon, you're right, or course - in my enthusiasm I just accepted the sellers appraisal without checking - not something I usually do - a silly mistake.
After a close inspection I see that the stamps are not uniform, the orientation is different for each of them, so can see where the seller thought it was a b. But, after a good hard stare, its definitely a 'y' making it 1898 - a far more viable proposition.
So, gents, thanks for the help and info - I really do appreciate it - but, it looks like the RFG is going to remain a mystery for the time being. Nevermind - it is a gorgeous little bulldog, and the set, as a whole, is wonderfull.
Thanks again.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
After a close inspection I see that the stamps are not uniform, the orientation is different for each of them, so can see where the seller thought it was a b. But, after a good hard stare, its definitely a 'y' making it 1898 - a far more viable proposition.
I'm glad to hear that. The other day I looked at the mark, looked at the chart. Looked at the mark, looked at the chart. Looked at the mark, looked at the chart......until I just had to close the page!!!

K

klause

Dave - you and me both - and, now i'm looking again I'm thinking 1906, but the '98 seems a better/closer fit - if you get me.
Reckon the best we can say is, "it's bloody old".
Condor, you have a good eye ;-) There is a tiny nick out of the quill, but otherwise its in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.