PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Greetings,
Got a few questions on vintage tobacco. At what age is tobacco considered vintage? What is the best way to make sure your vintage finds don't go bad, and what are some good recommendations (ie...brands, places to buy, what to look for, and would you buy vintage tobacco over the interwebs). Thanks for the help.
Mike

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not declaring it vintage but I've been noticing a lot (okay 3) of McCellend's blends I've been picking up are from 2011. From multiple places too.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Here's the thing.
Buying vintage tins, is always a crapshoot. You can eliminate the odds of being skunked, several ways.
First off, buy from a reputable source, until you know what to look out for. Pipestud comes to mind here.
Next, try to know what you like before you start buying tins. If you hate Perique, don't go bidding on that 3nuns from 1980, because you won't like it.
Look for Virginias. They age well. So do blends containing oriental leaf an Latakia. Look for tins that closely match your tastes. No one likes to shell out $200 for a tin that they will hate.
A list of sought after tins:
Balkan Sobrane

Bengal Slices

Dunhill tins prior to 2005 (Murray, lane, dunhill)

GLPease containing Syrian Latakia

Garfinkel blends

John cotton
The list goes on and on, but you get the point.
Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm still pretty new at the vintage tin game but I came across some old Mac Baren's tobacco. It's not stuff people normally go after but it did show what an aged tobacco can do. They can be found for fairly cheap prices and they can give an idea about what to expect from an aged tobacco.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Good post, chubbster.
Personally, I would not consider tobacco "vintage" unless it was at least 10 years old, and/or out of production.
If I was gonna look for some, I'd start with Pipestud. I know him from Yahoo Pipesmokers II, and know him to be a gentleman and class act. TBH, though, I will spend my money on good blends I know I enjoy, and cellar 'em myself.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Pipestud is a class act, all the way around.
I've purchased some tins from him, and they were always as described.
Check his site every Sunday, usually when he updates. eBay as well, but people get in bidding war on there.
Vintage to me, means out of production and old, at least 10 years. I don't consider it vintage if it is still made, unless the blender has changed hands (ie. Dunhill)

Status
Not open for further replies.