PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Been eyeballin' this old Charatan on the bay for a few days now. Anyone care to take a look and see if it's worthy of the $50 tag? I know the stem needs a lot of TLC, it's pretty beat up, but I just wondered if it would clean up nicely or not. I love the shape of this pipe.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

If it's not worth it, I'll pass, but it's got me to thinking it might be a good pipe to clean up at a decent price for a Charatan estate.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
If you like the shape, I WOULD NOT HESITATE, if you catch my drift. :wink:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If had a double comfort stem, wouldn't that be after Charatan was bought by Lane and not necessarily the same company that was originally founded? I think I was reeled in a bit by the fact that it was likely produced by Charatan before the company was sold in the 60's.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Double-comfort never doubled mine. YMMV. To me the stem looks very easy on the teeth and lips..

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I went and looked at the listing to see the rim. The pipe looks to be in excellent shape with a crisply detailed and craggy blast and crisp nomenclature. I like their take on the acorn shape. The box isn't original to the pipe, but from a later period. It should clean up very well. I think it would be a good buy. Wait too long and it will likely disappear. I'm surprised it hasn't done so already.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Welp, it's mine. I couldn't take the wait any longer. Should be here by Saturday next week. Woke up just to check on it, decided I didn't want to do that all week and realized I really wanted this beauty. Love the shape, can't wait for her to get here to start working on the restoration. I just need to order some Obsidian oil sometime soon as well. Hopefully the stem won't be too bad to work on. And if the box ain't original, I reckon I don't care, the pipe's what counts and I think it's a beauty!

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
That’s a fine pipe, if you haven’t worked on stems before just go to hobby lobby in the model department, they will have square foam pieces of sandpaper from 3200g to 12,000g and go through them. you could use some of that obsidian oil after that. Check out rebornpipes.com it’ll have step by step examples. Nothing complicated about your purchase, good luck

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@George, there's no need to bring in the Indian Association Womens Studies into this conversation.
My earlier comment was based on my dislike for DC stepped stems. I don't find them attractive, or offer any smoking benefit and they are a PITA to restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.