Vintage Kaywoodie Carburetor Bulldog Restored (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Just got this pipe in today, from eBay. It is a Kaywoodie Carburetor and is marked with the Patent number. Shape is 99S and the stinger is intact and has 5 holes. I don't know a lot about these, but I love Bulldogs. I am working on a 7 day vintage bent Bulldog/Rhodesian set. So far I have some 2 Dunhills, a Peterson, and the Kaywoodie. Here are some before and after shots of restoration.

Before:

After:

And one of me smoking the first bowl which was Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is Carburetor just its name, or is the stem or shank vented in some way? I always think of the E.B. Carey pipes with the little air slots in the shank. Not very useful, but an interesting patent from the days of old. That's a nice looking bulldog; I hope it isn't vented, since I think that would be a better smoke.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah it has a little air outlet at the bottom. If you look inside the bowl itself you can see a little piece of metal at the bottom. But I think it is actually clogged up with gunk and I don't have anything small enough to unclog it, which is fine. It smoked great without it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Are you sure the stinger has five holes? (the center hole is the draft hole). There should be four on the ball, is it stamped in any way? Post a picure of the stinger and stamping please! That is a pretty cook KW!

Status
Not open for further replies.