PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Afternoon All,
I've done all the usual searches, and checked under the pillows, behind the doors, in the cupboards, and the last place anyone would ever think of looking, but still can't find what I'm looking for; who made this Bulldog.
Bulldog-HW-EW.jpg

Bulldog-HW-EW-2.jpg

Anyone any idea who HW over EW were?
Thanks in advance.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is way out of my field, but the pipe looks British; and all you've got to go on is the hallmark, so check the hallmark page.

Seems to lead to Sheffield, England.

The forward cant of the bowl must be a big clue for someone who knows about this stuff.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Since it's Sheffield, it could be the Wade family. Usually, it's BW over EW (Ben Wade, Eliza Wade), but this page lists a Herbert Wade, so maybe that's it?
http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYTOBACCONISTB.html

K

klause

Newbroom, you're not wrong - its vibrant, to say the least - and, mucky. Very, Very mucky - the stem is blocked with tars, as is the shank. Someone enjoyed smoking the b'jesus out of this one, for sure.
Cortez, thanks for the links - much appreciated.
Pitch, I'd considered the whole Wade connection, but dismissed it because the marks are usually so specific and so well documented at this stage that I dismissed a possible anomaly. Maybe someone can confirm the theory - that would be too cool :)
Hunter, I'd never heard of them, but am about to go and do a little searching - Ah! The Joy is in the chase.......

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Unless the chamber wall is significantly burned, you have a helluva find, there. Really well cut, distinctive profile, stem in great shape, etc. Properly restored it will be a true prize. :D

K

klause

Thanks, George.
The rim is a little charred on the left side of the bowl, which suggests a 'Leftie' to me, but, after reaming the accumulation of decades out of it, the chamber is perfect. The cake was one of those amazing thick jobbies that turns a straight walled bowl into an incredibly narrow conical bowl!!
T'was the cake saved the walls :)
George, all I do is clean them - I don't attempt any major repairs, or try to get them back to 'as new' condition - its beyond me - but, I do smoke them.

May 31, 2012
I have no idea about HW EW,

but the 'lil pipe looks champion to me!
Congrats on another fine find!
Your collection of these early pipes is always wonderful to see.
:puffy:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm inclined a bit towards the Wade hypothesis on the basis of the dating, the initials and the font...
For the record, Ben and Eliza had two sons, Edwin (the elder) and Herbert (who eventually took over the company). Both were in the business by the time this pipe was made, although I suspect the "EW" would be for Eliza not Edwin. Just speculation though.

K

klause

Your collection of these early pipes is always wonderful to see
Just taking in the Waifs and Strays! Its my moral duty. (Well, at least thats what I tell my Good Lady) :wink:
Jon, thanks, once more, for your input - I think that, between yourself and Pitchfork, this case is closed, to my satisfaction at least. Gents, thanks again - I really appreciate your knowledge and help.

milsu

Lurker
Aug 9, 2015
Newbroom, you're not wrong - its vibrant, to say the least - and, mucky. Very, Very mucky - the stem is blocked with tars, as is the shank. Someone enjoyed smoking the b'jesus out of this one, for sure.
Cortez, thanks for the links - much appreciated.Paris airport transfers
Pitch, I'd considered the whole Wade connection, but dismissed it because the marks are usually so specific and so well documented at this stage that I dismissed a possible anomaly. Maybe someone can confirm the theory - that would be too cool :)
Hunter, I'd never heard of them, but am about to go and do a little searching - Ah! The Joy is in the chase.......
yes you are right and i am quite agree with you . i also think it will the whole wade connection. so i don't trust upon the marks . by the way your reply is helpful for me to generate knowledge about it .thank you so much and i can create my concept with.

Status
Not open for further replies.