PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You love it or you hate it. In the package, it smells of horse stables. In the pipe, for me, a transcendent complexity of burley flavors orchestrated to a T. I received a sample from a Forums member, and then a full package from another member with a tin of Frog Morton and a Ferndown pipe. My associations with it are delightful. The member who sent me the package couldn't stand the stuff. Burley is tricky anyway, and this one in particular, but if you have the taste for it, your admiration (or at least mine) only grows.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mso489,How You would think what type of pipe suits best for these Semoins and another like tobacco,my understanding is than Belges and Frenchmen traditionally did prefer a smaller size pipes when theselike blends were more widely consumed back in those days.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I smoke A LOT of semois... and I prefer a squater, shallower bowl. It tends to burn fast and I find this type of bowl to be the one that helps me keep it most evenly lit.
This would be my ideal pipe for it.. This Ashton pebble grain is described as a : "A Cooper come Rhodesian" by Maxim at pipes2smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll give the shallow wide bowl a try. I've been using mostly deep bowls with average diameter, thinking the dry leaf burns fairly fast, and this conserves the burn and gives a good supply to lengthen the smoke. But it's fun to try other things. With shallow wide bowls I'm usually after getting complex blends of five or more tobaccos to burn all at once and meld and harmonize. Probably different styles of smoking favor particular blends in different pipes. Semois comes across to me as a blend, though it's just one leaf -- it has that variety going, subtle but present.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Semois is great, if you like Burley and if you know how to pack it. Learning that took a bit of time on this end.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Yeah, until you guys urged me to pack it tighter, I didn't enjoy it so much.
I must admit, I was a little disappointed by Le Petite Robin. I bought 8 bricks of it when it was available because I was afraid it might be a one-time release.
While Le Petite Robin isn't bad, I can barely taste the Semois in it. It tastes like really good RYO cigarette tobacco to me.
Do you guys have any suggestions for how I might smoke le Petite Robin so that I would enjoy it more?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Le Petite Robin, a sample generously shared by a Forums member, but I don't like it as well as the thick and medium cut. Le Petite Robin is a shag cut blend, with other tobacco leaf besides the burley variant, I understand. So it is pleasant to me, but I like the single leaf version best.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I concur (w/mso489).

LePetit Robin is unmistakably from the Semois Valley. Even as a "condiment" this ingredient is clear as it is a lighter version representing the terroir from where it comes. As much as it is just fun to tease out this stuff... into whatever shaped vessel you choose.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have not smoked Le Petit Robin because I cannot see how Semois could be improved upon. If it is a shag cut, my guess is to smoke it somewhat dry and pack it tight, plus use a wide shallow bowl. At least, that works for me best with Five Brothers.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoked La Brumeuse a week or so ago after 2.5 years in a jar, and unsure that I liked it as much as the fresh. Substantial melding.

Status
Not open for further replies.