PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Just for giggles I picked up a pouch of this. There are a series of "Export" blends, of which this is one. There are no reviews on TR for any of these Villiger blends, I guess they're new (or maybe just renamed). They also come in pouches whereas the older ones came in tins. "New World Export" says it's got Virginia, Burley, Black Cavendish and a topping of vanilla and cocoa. According to the ad, it's got 3 dots for strength and taste, 2 dots for room note.
The pouch note is candy-sweet and delectable, like a fresh vanilla cake just out of the oven. The appearance is a nicely-esthetic combination of thin, light-brown ribbon cuts (probably the Virginia), coarser shag (probably the Burley), and bits of black (obviously the cavendish). It felt a little damp in the pouch, but giving it the pinch test it fell apart without clumping, so I went ahead and smoked it.
Packing a mixed-cut blend is a compromise, but as it appears to be mostly the ribbon, and black cavendish will burn cool no matter how you pack it, I went with a fairly loose pack. It took to flame nicely, and I didn't need to relight it after that. Admittedly I was smoking a small pipe (meer) and I never smoke the last third.
Smokability: I was surprised in a good way that it produced copious amounts of creamy smoke even with a slow, gentle sipping cadence. I purposely stoked it up a couple times to see if it would bite (it didn't, not surprising considering it contains a lot of black cavendish and that stuff does tame the biters well), but this might be a good blend for over-puffers to train themselves to sip, as you can get plenty of smoke. It also smoked respectably dry for an inexpensive aro and didn't goop or leave a ghost. Again, I smoked it in a meer. Briar results may be different.
Nicotene: I have to disagree with the 3 dots, I'd barely put it at one. But what it lacks in nic it makes up for in taste and aroma.
Room-note: This I would give 4 dots. This is a blend to smoke in polite company. It's the kind of aroma that isn't sickeningly sweet but definitely says "pipe" to even the uninitiated.
Taste: With this blend there is so much smoke that unless you're smoking with your back against a brisk wind you're going to be smelling the room-note as you smoke, and smell and taste are very interrelated. So some of the taste strength comes from that. How I know is I pinched my nose shut and the taste dwindled significantly. Not the blend to smoke when you have a cold.
The taste itself is mainly vanilla. Between the cavendish and the toppings, I could not detect any natural flavor from the Virginia or Burley. I also could not detect any cocoa. But it definitely has a different flavor in there, I just couldn't seem to recognize it. It's almost a berry flavor, but no particular berry I recognize. I also detected a mild chemical taste now and then, mainly when I was over-puffing it. Sipped (again, you'll get lots of smoke with small sips) I didn't detect it much.
At a little over $4 for a 1.5oz pouch, this one won't break the bank, and it's a helluva lot more complex and enjoyable than the similarly-priced codger blends I've tried. I'm not much of an aro smoker, but occasionally I like to change it up, and occasionally I need something I can get away smoking around people who expect a pipe to "smell good". And I'd say for people who do like aros, this is one you don't want to miss.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I could not detect any natural flavor from the Virginia or Burley."
Well that's me out then, I smoke to taste tobacco, not chemical derived fruit flavours.
Interesting and honest review though :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Well that's me out then, I smoke to taste tobacco, not chemical derived fruit flavours.
Certainly not for those that don't love a tasty aro now and again!
I classify aros into two separate categories: Ones with no natural tobacco flavor and ones where the tobacco flavor comes through. I smoke both and would happily try the Villiger New World Export; I doubt I will though, as it's not going to make it onto my must try list; I already have plenty of Cube Silver. It may be in a different price range, but I already have the Cube on hand.
Very good review though and I believe this blend will be pleasing to many aromatic smokers.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Probably not going to make it onto my buy-again list, but this pouch most likely will last me a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.