PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Generally, when we think of “English tobacco,” something like the Dunhill London Mixture comes to mind. But really, English tobacco is a state of mind. It is distinguished from the Danish interpretation of it by its appreciation of the clash of flavors. The Dunhill mixes are spicy, sweet and full-bodied all at once; the Danish interpretation balances the three, so that it is full-bodied with hints of flavor from the spice and sweet without overwhelming. In my inner self, I find this to be a better approach, as it reduces a riotous clash of flavors to a comforting taste that deepens the more it is smoked.
http://www.deathmetal.org/lifestyle/villiger-1888-early-day-pipe-tobacco/

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Confirmed, hilariously:
Thank you for your inquiry on Villiger 1888 pipe tobacco – we greatly appreciate your interest. Unfortunately, the rumors are true and also late. Those items were discontinued back in 2012 and with inventory depleting at most brick and mortar or internet locations, I regret to inform you that once it is gone – it is gone for good.
I would encourage you to look into our Newminster pipe tobacco line. Although not available in tins, these tobaccos are representative of the quality and standards we provide the tobacco market in all areas of our offerings, from machine made and handrolled cigars as well as pipe tobacco.
In other news, if you find 'em they're 3-year aged.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Mid Day is great. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing it on some websites anymore like sp.com

Ha ha, B&M's couldn't give that crap away. Years ago the Briary even used to try to get guys to take a free golf umbrella with purchase of Villiger products. In fact, at the Briary when we ask Skip if he would carry this or that, and he thinks it wouldn't sell at all, he calls it a "Villiger." The absolute worst tobacco product ever, from product to tin design to marketing. He gave me tons of these, but I can't bring myself to open them. Besides, the tins are keeping my side table balanced where one leg isn't long enough. I can't possibly smoke them, they are a symbolic example of marketing gone wrong. Don't give your blends stupid obscure names. And, the idea that they are one of those disgusting crossover blends is enough to keep me away from them. Give me an aromatic when I want one of those, or give me a non aromatic when I want one of those. Crossovers are the worst of both worlds in my opinion. Just my opinion.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
You're off your rocker.
The description for mid day is an aro with some oriental tobacco but I don't notice any oriental it's just a damn good aro.
As for other cross overs Frog Morton Cellar is one of my absolute favorites. :crazy:
As far as naming and packaging go it was pretty poor but there are plenty of others in the same boat. Comoy's, Cronowitsch, Barling, Erik Stokkebye.

Umm, Yeh, so like call The Briary and buy up all of that crap you want. He has plenty. Also, I believe it was Barclay Rex in New York that has even more of it. They gave my wife a stack of tins of the crap when she went there looking for me a gift last Christmas. Actually, I am willing to bet most B&M's still have it in stock. You may just get a cellar full of this stuff.

But, please please take what The Briary has left first. He won't expand into new product lines untill all of the worst blends stop taking up space on the shelves.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Dammit, Cosmic, if you'd stop beating around the bush and let us know how you feel. Nobody has time to decipher these cryptic, wishy-washy opinions!
I bought a tin of the Early Day because it was on sale, and wound up liking it enough to smoke pretty regularly. The others, the description just didn't sound very appetizing, so I never bothered. How much do the tins of Early Day go for at The Briary? I might be able to help clear some shelves.

"How I feel?" It's just how it is. If anyone liked the stuff, would they have gone out of business? Would shelves be full of dusty tins? Heck, even Sutliff finds enough people to like their tinned aromatics to stay in business, so...

I have no idea how much the tins sell for. Maybe make him a deal on the whole lot of them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The absolute worst tobacco product ever, from product to tin design to marketing.
I think the product is pretty good in quality. Its problem is that it is not distinctive, which is aided by a poor choice of name (especially when "Newminster" was available) and some dubious design and naming choices.
I think they hoped the cigar crowd would love Villiger already as a brand and crossover, but crossover is less than anticipated apparently.

I am not sure why Stokkebye wanted to start these side companies. Why did he not produce the Newminster products under the already existing PS brand, or why not the Villiger line? I would bet that if they had of branded Villiger as a PS tinned set of blends it would have done better. Is it that these "Superior" line of bulks is so risky that he couldn't brand them along with the "Luxury" lines?

Lets create a new blend, but instead of backing that blend with our well known name and brand, lets make up a new one. 4th Generation, because hardly anyone will know what that refers to. Oh, and lets name the different blends (that pretty much all taste the same) obscure names like 1882, 1852, because no one will have any clue as to what they are referencing.

Success!! all of the dust in the store will settle on our products!!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am not sure why Stokkebye wanted to start these side companies.
I agree it was dubious, but my guess is brand separation, the same reason Toyota started Lexus when it wanted to make cars that cost twice as much.
In the case of Villiger, they made some nice blends, but they were too balanced. Not quirky or ragged enough. And not distinct from anything else in the market enough, by flavor or marketing.
My guess is he wants at least three lines:
1. Bulk

2. To compete with Dunhill, Orlik and Peterson

3. To compete with Mac Baren and other high-end brands
At least, that's how I'd play it. There are three market layers until you get to artisanal blends and true specialities (Presbyterian, Capstan).

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Once again Cosmic delivers a blow by blow account. Good stuff, I appreciate someone who can tell it like it is. Also the fact you're a big fan of Newminister SRS adds to your credibility. I'm sure if anyone actually called the Briary they could get a great deal if they cleaned him out as it doesn't sound like the owner is trying to keep this on the shelves.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
It's clear from the packaging of Newminster and 4th Gen (can't say about Villiger) that the Erik Stokkebye products are made by Mac Baren. The Peter Stokkebye stuff is made by Orlik. I'd always assumed that Erik has no legal claim to the PS name or trademark. Why else would he have the 'competition' do his blending? This would explain why he's not capitalizing on the PS name. As for poor marketing, there are plenty of examples of highly successful blends with peculiar or non-descriptive names. ES took some chances with the marketing and the products have mostly failed. Happens all the time in all sorts of fields.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Michael, you need to put your tag line back on. I always thought it was great and it would be a check point for anyone who thinks you are going to go around giving a damn about them being all chapped off. :rofl:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Cosmic wondered: "instead of backing that blend with our well known name and brand, lets make up a new one. 4th Generation, because hardly anyone will know what that refers to. Oh, and lets name the different blends (that pretty much all taste the same) obscure names like 1882, 1852, because no one will have any clue as to what they are referencing" - actually I believe Erik Stokkebye doesn't have rights to his namesake name. He is the 4th generation of the Stokkebye in the pipe and tobacco business, so thus the reference. And the 'obscure' date names relate to the birthdates of him and his forebears, so there is an interesting backstory to it all.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.