PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
What are the differences you have noticed between the Falcon and the Dr. Grabow Viking pipes. I saw some in an antique store yesterday, 1 Falcon and 3 Vikings (and a Kirstin BTW) that had different shank designs. They look like they function the same. I know that the bowls are small and would like to get a bigger one if that is possible. They are ugly but besides that which do you like?

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I have 2 Falcons and a Kirsten. The Kirsten has extra bowls, a bigger briar and 2 meers. The main difference I could point out is the Kirsten has a "radiator" stem. It is big and hollow and is supposed to allow the smoke to cool and condense water vapor so you get that nice dry cool smoke. Advertising hype. They smoke OK especially for the short breaks. The Falcons have a chanber below the bowl to allow condesation and tars to accumulate.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I have a few of the grabow vikings and 1 older kaywoodie filter plus and i like them.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
The kirsten is a bit more fiddly than either the viking or the falcon. It has more parts and takes more cleaning than either of the others. That being said, any of the three can be a good pipe and with several bowls can be great smokers.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Aren't the Kirstens a bit more expensive too?
I also want a meerlined bowl for my Falcon.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Aren't the Kirstens a bit more expensive too?
I also want a meerlined bowl for my Falcon.
Yes they are. I have seen some at junk/antique stores for about $25. They may not have compatible parts for the current production if they need any replaced.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
For pipes maybe, for tobacco, not a chance.
mine has a good selection of pipes in a reasonable price range but it's tabacky selection is pretty lousy and overpriced

Status
Not open for further replies.