PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm looking at a Viking pipe from the Ruby line/finish. It's a high gloss finish, which I usually avoid.
Anyone have experience with this finish? Can you rate it for durability and longevity?
Here's an example. It looks rather thick to me.
ruby-600x600.jpg

Thanks!
jay-roger.jpg

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
My son has two glossy Vikings. The finish on both pipes bubbled shortly after he received them. I would be wary, but, your mileage may vary.
Cheers,
Chili

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know about Viking specifically. Several of the smooth gloss finishes I have do quite well, have never bubbled or deteriorated in any visible way. Examples include an Italian pipe, a Gianni, that was bought for me as a gift in Rotterdam; a Jobey I bought locally (stem stamped made in France, briar possibly finished in U.S.); Peterson Killarney B11 bent Brandy ebony; and others. Done right, a gloss finish can be handsome and durable. They're not as popular as once, but they shouldn't be a put-off. All that said, that is an unusually deep finish, almost like you'd see on a piano or piece of formal furniture, but I think it is more likely to remain fine than otherwise.

Jan 8, 2013
It looks to be the same stain color as a Viking I have. It was one of my first pipes, I still have it, and the finish is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.