PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Okay everyone. A couple weeks ago at work I realized I had forgotten my pipe at home. So I picked up an MM hardwood and a pouch of paladin black cherry. (Figured I would see what demon was inside of the pouch) and now it's all I've been smoking for the past week or two. At least a bowl a day. For some reason I love paladin. What are your views about it? And what other OTC Baccys are must try? (Already have carter hall). Thanks for your input!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People who avoid OTC's altogether miss some of the classic pipe experiences. There's a reason some of the

blends have been around for a century or more. My rotation is mostly tinned and bulk tobacco. But I certainly

have an OTC from time to time. I haven't tried Paladin Black Cherry. My all-time favorite is Granger; my dad

chain smoked it. Prince Albert is a good smoke. I am among those who likes Half and Half, although some

really don't like it. Carter Hall is very popular with Forums members. So don't worry about enjoying OTC's.

They're a pleasant change now and then, and some folks like them as a part of their regular rotation. Our

great granddaddies were no fools.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I smoke several OTC 's on a regular basis . Prince Albert , Carter Hall , Sir Walter Raleigh , Captain Black are all good smokes . :puffpipe:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
CH and PA are always on hand.

Classic smokes that have stood the test of time!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I don't smoke many aromatics, so I've never tried Palladin, but I always have Carter Hall and Walnut on hand. PA is pretty good, too.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I am a huge fan of SWR,and order it on bulk. I beleive the OTC's in the U.S.A are a much finer expereince than the ones we have here in the U.K.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I haven't tried anything other than Captain Black Regular (in the white package). Sure there are finer tobacco's but sometimes and OTC is the way to go.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I smoke Captain Black Dark a few times a year. It's got a sweet/cola taste at times.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
Captain Black Royal (dark blue pouch) is one I really enjoy. It is supposed to be very close to Lane 1-Q.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My rule: I never criticize someone else's choice of tobacco. I may say: "here, try some of mine," handing over my pouch but that's as far as it goes. If someone enjoys smoking Mixture 79, that's his/her choice. If you were to witness the care with which Sutliff manufactures that tobacco, you might be less prone to criticize it in the future. As mentioned above in this particular thread, these over-the-counter blends have been around for so many years because people buy them and enjoy them, and none of us was appointed by God to criticize them. We have our preferences, and that's as far as it goes. de gustibus ...

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for the input everyone. Prince Albert was my first pipe tobacco, but I haven't had it in a few years so I'll have to grab a pouch again. Sometimes I think the best times I have smoking are with cheap OTCs. I love driving around with a good smoke in an inexpensive pipe because I don't need to worry about the pipe. It makes the smoke that much simpler.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Carter Hall but do buy the tub something is not right with those little pouches . I like to take a cigarette and burn a hole in the lid stays fresh about 5 years instead of 10 that way .

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I always enjoy Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. To me, it tastes like an old-fashioned Christmas fruitcake. That in itself may be a turnoff to some, but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.